What size pontoon boat is good

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I asked the same question a few years ago and a guy advised me to get something bigger than a 16. We got an 18 and most of the time we wished we had a 20 for more room. We have had the 18 on some pretty small lakes and some decent sized ones too. We ran against a chop on Stockton all the way up the lake one time that was before I had it underpinned and we had some water come through the carpet at the seams. Sat the cooler and my big boy on the piece that was flexing and we made it alright. I am sure glad that we listened to the advice and got something bigger than a 16.

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class
We started searching for an 18' to 20' toon a couple years back. We wanted nothing larger than that but came across a deal on a 24' that we couldn't pass up. I thought the thing was huge when we first got it. Lets just say space runs out quick when you add gear and an extra person here and there.We are now thinking of moving up to a 26' tritoon. All depends how you want to use it but it's amazing the family and friends that come out of the woodwork when you have a toon.

Just an FYI, we picked up our toon for $600 with solid bones and deck. New dual axle trailer, recover the seats, new bimini, and a new Merc 115ct we have a paid for boat/motor/trailer package for around 13k. Not a new toon, but a great option if your hands on. Toons are very easy to work on.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
The biggest problem I had with our 24 ft pontoon boat was the steering .I had it checked out and everyone said the same thing, live with it. It was ok out of the water just very hard to steer in the water. If I only went 10 mph it wasn't to bad but at 16 mph or more I needed a wide turning area and two hands, our other boat was a I/O 300 hp bow rider.21 ft. It would fly and so easy to steerwith power steering.

ahicks

Captain
I think the only time a 20' boat might have an advantage over a 24' boat is that they are easier to trailer (pull, load, unload, etc.). If that's not a factor, 24's are tough to beat....