What size pontoon boat is good

RickPatti

Recruit
We are interested in a new pontoon.
Wondering how fast a 16 foot with a 50 horsepower on it will go.
Second question. How big of water would this pontoon be safe on .

mpilot

Seaman
A 50hp is going to push something that size around 20mph I would imagine. It all depends on toon diameter, load etc. A guy in our neighborhood has a little bentley that's around that size with a 60hp I believe. They bought it new early this year...saw them go out and a moderate storm blew in and it got a little choppy....they haven't been out but once since. It is for sure a fair weather boat and it has 25 inch toons I believe which are big for that length, but the length causes the issues with diving into waves and just not handling even moderately rough water well on our lake. I think for a small lake it might be okay. They aren't that much cheaper than getting something in the 20-22 foot range. Why such a short length. Since they are all displacement hulls the 16-22 footers will all be in that 20 mph range with the 50 you mentioned. I would make sure to get the Bigfoot or whatever they call the high thrust version now since you can sling a bigger prop for a little more control and lower rpm efficiency.

ahicks

Captain
If you're asking how a 16' toon will handle big water, you probably shouldn't consider one. They handle like a beach toy. Basically, they don't handle....

mpilot hit on a point that's important in my experience. These little guys will try stuffing their noses into about every other wave, where a longer boat would span the distance between wave crests much easier, providing superior handling. If swells are involved, all bets are off. You want a different style boat......

If I were trailering exclusively, I think there are advantages to a 20-22 foot boat when loading and unloading, especially if doing that by yourself. If frequent trailering is not a factor, I'd go 24'.

A 50 on either size boat is fine for cruising. In Mich. you'll see the vast majority of pontoons equipped with something like that. If you're plans include pulling anything, your plans should include doubling that power at minimum.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
1 16' pontoon with a 25hp motor goes just as fast as a 16' pontoon with a 60hp motor. as indicated above, your at displacement speed

as far as body of water, size pretty much doesnt matter generally pontoons that size are usually found on lakes in the 2000 acre and smaller range. they make great cruisers, fishing boats, and a place to swim from. if you are interested in water sports, you will need a bigger 'toon and a lot more power

as far as wave height, you could probably get away with about 2' max, however it wont be that fun. anything over that and its going to get rough and your going to get wet

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
[h=2]What size pontoon boat is good[/h]

24' is a good size, they do most things very well, lots of room, good balance, easy to handle, doesn't take much HP to move them along at an OK cruising speed, they don't weigh much, etc. Going with a 16' will leave you wanting something bigger very soon, parking is the only advantage of the 16'.

ahicks

Captain
I've spent my summers on the same 600 acre lake for the last 40 years. This lake is in/near a large metro area, and can get pretty busy when the weather is nice. Holiday weekends are a total zoo. Bad enough where I don't venture out much during prime time. Incompetent drivers combined with some pretty choppy conditions. Anyway, out of the hundreds of pontoon boats docked here, I don't think I would need my second hand to count the number of toons in the 16-18' range. I would darn sure not have to take my socks off. FWIW....

RickPatti

Recruit
Thanks for the info.
I think we have settled on a 18' center console called Angler Qwest with a 100 HP Honda.
I will keep you informed.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the info.
I think we have settled on a 18' center console called Angler Qwest with a 100 HP Honda.
I will keep you informed.

Much better choice. Pontoons are not even remotely good for chop.

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
What are your intended uses?
How will you be storing this boat? (Trailer, Dock with or without lift)
How many do you expect to need to haul and how much gear?

If you have not bought a toon yet, Consider a tritoon for better handling, stability, and ride.

Let us know, and post pics when you decide.

RickPatti

Recruit
Decided to hold off on a new boat.
Going to finish rebuilding my 1993 Lowe deck.
A salesman to me that I was wasting my time. That the 93 lowe deck boats were the worst hull ever built.
Any opinions.

ahicks

Captain
Geez, if you're up for a project that size, why not track down a 20-24' pontoon project? Boats with solid bones and a serviceable outboard are generally not hard to find, and can be bought on the cheap. Figure out what it would cost to redeck something like that and add whatever furniture you might need, and your sweat equity can often produce some results that will last 20 years pretty reasonably.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
We went from an 21 ft bow rider with a 5.7 I/O to a 24 ft pontoon with a 90 hp Mercury. big change. we had the bow rider for 10 years and the pontoon for 8 years. I'm 75 years old now so we sold the pontoon boat this year. If I could do it all over again I'd get a 22 ft. center console with a 200 hp Mercury.Pontoon boats are a waste of good money. Merry Christmas.

ahicks

Captain
Your first step in boat selection is to carefully assess how your boat is going to be used most often. For instance, a 200hp center console on a protected 600 acre lake, might be seen by many as a bit of overkill. That same center console might be a dream come true for guys playing in areas where 2-3' chop is the norm....

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've never been on a lake in anything bigger then a 12 ft mirro craft with a seven and a horse power motor. All my boating has been in tidal waters ,like the Chesapecke Bay.

ahicks

Captain
That's my point. Your boat choices reflect where they'll be used.

jbcurt00

Staff member

A salesman told me that I was wasting my time. That the 93 lowe deck boats were the worst hull ever built.
Any opinions.

Important to note ^^^

ahicks

Captain
If you're taking notes, you should check into some of the boats for sale down here (Fl.) with rotted floors, transoms and stringers. Talking some of the best, premium brands available. Point being, even the best of the best are literally falling apart. It makes it very difficult for me to get serious about buying an older glass boat of any kind, unless it's been trailered and stored under cover when not in use. The deck boats, all of them, seem particularly affected

Jeepinfewl

Recruit
A salesman to me that I was wasting my time. That the 93 lowe deck boats were the worst hull ever built.
Any opinions.

I have a 1994 Lowe 2200 deck boat and love it. The hull on mine is solid, though I have no idea how it compares to others as far as construction of one riveted aluminum hull vs another. I do know that the areas under the seats are foam filled and I've heard folks curse that design. The boat has the factory 115HP 2-stroke Mercury and will go 35mph with 8 passengers and a full tank of gas and gear and is fun to drive. It has tons of interior space. The only big "downside" that I can think of over a pontoon is that the runabout hull is not as stable when you're just floating and will rock a little more when people are moving about the boat or when wakes come along.

We were looking for a pontoon boat and came across this and jumped on it. Very happy we did!