Which Yamaha 200 motor on new boat.?

Glaru

Cadet
Hey guys just purchased a 25 foot tritoon with lifting strikes and it is being built... Transom will hold up to a 200hp.. Wondering if I should put a f200 on the rear or for the extra grand the vmax sho 200?

Input always appreciated thxs

ahicks

Captain
Tough answering that question for somebody else. Myself, I generally keep my boats quite a while, and would go with the KISS concept when outfitting for that reason.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
My guess would be they both will put out 200HP at the rated RPM
Where would you get more top end from

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Glaru

You don't need to ask the same question in multiple forums. Once is enough.

You have a thread in the Prop section about propping an F200 - So which motor did you order?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Glaru,
My brief read of the Yamaha site indicates one is the highest output 4 cylinder engine and the other is the lowest output (detuned) six cylinder engine. The six weighs about 20 pounds more than the four. Unless I was planning to retune the six to higher output after the warranty expired, I don't know that I'd pay an extra $1000 for it. Performance should feel about the same for the stock motors.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys just purchased a 25 foot tritoon with lifting strikes and it is being built... Transom will hold up to a 200hp.. Wondering if I should put a f200 on the rear or for the extra grand the vmax sho 200?

Input always appreciated thxs

Good question. I would think the bigger displacement motor would hold up a lot better and have less stress. Probably pull better at lower rpms too.

ahicks

Captain
SHO= 525lbs/4.2L
F200= 487lbs/2.8L

So though there is a weight penalty, there is clearly a major difference in displacement. With the tri-toon's ability to handle the difference in weight so easily, I'm seeing nothing but advantages going with the larger displacement engine. All else being equal, an easy call from where I'm sitting.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would tend to agree.

Think about like this...would you rather have a new Taurus with a 250 HP four cylinder turbo or a 250 HP 3.5 L V6? (Just making up an example)

Both options have advantages but I would tend to think the bigger motor would have to work less hard. Though probably get better mpg at cruising

Glaru

Cadet
Anyone thinking I'd see more mph on top end... I know they r both 200hp was thinking with bigger displacement it might but I'm ignorant to this sort of thing tgxs

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No. HP is mostly about burning fuel and it appears that the 6 is tuned to use roughly the same amount of fuel as the 4 at full throttle. It's just burning that fuel in six cylinders rather than four.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Depends on the length of leg you need. The SHO is only available with a 20" leg

ahicks

Captain
The bigger engine would (should) have noticeably more grunt when getting the boat moving/accelerating and for pulling - on paper anyway. Tips to substantiate that might come from the lower unit gear ratios and suggested prop diameter.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There may be features of the SHO that make it a better choice than the F200, and it is tempting to believe that bigger (displacement and cylinder count) must be better. But the physics say this. The feature of an engine that determines acceleration ("grunt") is torque. The feature that determines top speed is horsepower. Horsepower is calculated based on the torque and RPM of an engine at a given moment. The formula is: Horsepower = Torque (ft-lbs) x RPM / 5,252. So, regardless of whether it is a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder, two engines that produce the same horsepower at the same RPM (e.g., 200 HP at 5,500 RPM) also produce the same torque. So, they will accelerate the same also.

ahicks

Captain
OK, let's move from paper to practical. I did some homework to prove my hunch.

VF200LA_SHO.pdf

F200XB.pdf

Compare away, but note the 6 is on a little bigger/heavier boat.
Bottom line, any way you want to look at it, they are awful similar

Attachments

• F200XB.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • VF200LA_SHO.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, let's move from paper to practical. I did some homework to prove my hunch.

VF200LA_SHO.pdf

F200XB.pdf

Compare away, but note the 6 is on a little bigger/heavier boat.
Bottom line, any way you want to look at it, they are awful similar

Using the above referenced numbers.....

It appears the SHO will give a little better top end speed. But in the 3-4K RPM range where most people tend to cruise the 4stroke will give better speed and fuel economy than the SHO. Also no need to buy the oil for the 4 stroke until time to change it and the filter.

For my use, the 4 stroke is the way to go.

ahicks

Captain
I'm a big Honda fan as well, but it wasn't one of the options in the OP's question ;^)

That, and if there's salt water involved, I'd likely go Yamaha as well.