Is it possible to install air valves to my logs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
With a half toon in front it will sit and ride bow high, not much you can do about it. 16' toons don't balance well as it is, a half toon makes it worse, longer toons run much better.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Well, you can tell me that all you want but I know what I see when I'm on the water. Where I boat it's restricted waters - 9.9 and below. I see boats bigger than mine going faster than me and they're perfectly level while doing it. No other boat on that lake sits like mine nor do they plow like mine. Science and engineering be damned, I know what I see.
I'm done here. I thank you all for your input.

Jim

a longer boat will always have a faster displacement speed than a shorter boat. the displacement speed is governed by the length of the hull. the longer the hull, the faster the displacement speed. hence the only reason a 1000' air craft carrier can do 40knots.

look up displacement speed. ....never mind, here is a link https://www.easycalculation.com/physics/classical-physics/hull-speed-calculator.php

if you want to get into a discussion on S/L ratio, etc we can do that too.

bottom line, your 16' pontoon will be ALWAYS be slower than a 18' pontoon which will be slower than a 20' pontoon untill you get enough power to make it plane.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
You might check to see if the foam in the rear seats and sundeck is waterlogged. That can add a tremendous amount of weight.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
​If what you say about putting nitrogen in car tires is a scam then why do the Nascar tires have it in them.

moisture! It's not the nitrogen!!! The process of taking air that's already 80% nitrogen to 99% nitrogen removed water.

Also, having pressurized and inert nitrogen tanks on a race track is less of a fire hazard.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The 9.9 there is like a 100 pound kid standing out on the end of that port tube.

The half log is like a big bobber under the boat right in the center bow.

That boat looks like it is floating exactly right to me.

The one thing I'd check on that boat is to put it on the trailer and give it a good shake to see if there is any water in any tube.

Without the added 9.9 weight and with the maximum motor allowed I would bet that is a nice performing boat. I also don't think removing the center log will make you any happier with the ride or performance of the boat. You would probably accomplish more by removing the big motor and moving the 9.9 to the transom. I have to assume you use the big motor on different bodies of water though.

As to the pressure in logs, that is a completely moot point. I have been in, on, under and all around dozens of pontoon boats in the last 30 years. I have never seen one without vents in the logs to equalize pressure inside the log and out. It keeps the tubes from popping on warm days and collapsing on cool nights. If you think you don't have them, look at where the tube meets the M bracket at the top, I bet you will find something there that vents the tube in at least one place.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
At first I thought how dumb of a question is this. really.I had drain valves on my pontoon boat in case water might get into the toon's but an air valve to make it float better ,no. But if you do put a air valve make ,sure that you open the drain valves first.You could be water logged. My drains were on the rear bottom, some for some reason are on the top.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Well, you can tell me that all you want but I know what I see when I'm on the water. Where I boat it's restricted waters - 9.9 and below. I see boats bigger than mine going faster than me and they're perfectly level while doing it. No other boat on that lake sits like mine nor do they plow like mine. Science and engineering be damned, I know what I see.
I'm done here. I thank you all for your input.

Jim
Had it occurred to you that because you see a 9.9 decal on the engine cover that they may have replaced a 15 HP decal with the 9.9? That is done far more often than one might expect on HP restricted bodies of water. I also see a center tube that probably does not extend full length. You have a motor, fuel, battery and two people sitting at the very back of the deck. You have a stern heavy situation. Do the toons passing you have the helm and passengers sitting more toward the center than the stern? Physics!!!!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Guys - Buster_boy has left the building. Apparently he didn't like the advice we gave him.

Let's let this thread remain idle. Thanks.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
I had a valve on the rear bottom of my 24 foot StarCraft on each log. I would open them just to see if I had any water In, the logs nothing ever came out. The logs weren't under any pressure ,ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.