Upholstery tearing around cup holders...

RyFitz13

Cadet
Well, as the subject says: my pontoon is developing tears around the perimeter of 3 of my cup holders. So far, I've only talked to one local guy about repairs, who's saying I'd pretty much have to re-upholster the entire seat (or at least the arm - I have to re-check how things are constructed on my pontoon).

I can't imagine this is a unique problem to have - does anyone out there have any advice for alternative ways of fixing tears around cupholders, or at least reinforcing the upholstery to keep tears from getting any worse?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If the tears aren't too long, perhaps you could find or fabricate a bezel (e.g., a flat plastic or metal donut shaped piece) that could fit under the lip of the cup holder to cover the tears.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Is it in a very visible area? If not, is there a duct tape color that is close to matching your seats? You can see where I am going...

Make sure you use protectant on the seats to prevent future tears and cracks.

RyFitz13

Cadet
No Title

I've never seen a cup holder in a hidden location. Just sayin'.

Unfortunately good point! ;)

We just got the boat a couple months ago, and have already found a few things that the previous owner didn't exactly take care of as well as he could have. This is just one of them... One of the first things I purchased when we got the boat was a good cleaner/protectant for marine upholstery - sadly, this particular damage was already done.

Here's a picture of one of the three - they're all like this, to a greater or lesser degree. It looks to me like the cuts that were originally made in the vinyl for the cupholder have continued to tear as the vinyl has shrunk a bit over the years...

Attachments

• photo253152.jpg
    photo253152.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Another possible solution is to replace the cups with larger ones. Measure the outside lip diameter that would be needed to conceal the tears. Then check the online sellers for cups with lips that large. .... As I suggested earlier, my first thought would be to look for a circular disc of appropriate material that is large enough to conceal the tears. Then dirll/cut a hole in the center to fit the cup. Lift out the cup - put the disc over the hole and slide the cup back into place.

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
I agree with Tommy--that cup holder might be smaller than the original as evidenced by the dirty ring visible under the lip.
Another possible remedy: On my boat the PO adapted on oversized radio hole by cutting a piece of vinyl the same color as the trim, sew a nice edge on it and attach it with clear RTV.

RyFitz13

Cadet
That thought did occur to me too (the new piece of trim vinyl) - I just don't think I have anything to work with that could sew a decent edge on vinyl.

I'll be doing some digging, I guess, to see if I can find cupholders with bigger flanges, or find some kind of pre-made material that could provide a ring like that.