How are WOT and cruising rpm determined?

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
My 2000 Johnson 40 (J40PLSSM) doesn't show WOT on the data plate so how do I find this number?

ahicks

Captain
I have a '99 and it's looking for 5500 max. I don't remember what prop is on it.

As far as cruise, without doing anything scientific (in other words, seat of the pants), our boat (a pretty light 24' w/23" tubes) will get up on top pretty easily. So I do that, then pull the throttle back until it starts to settle (bow starts rising) and add just enough to put it solidly on top. Ours works out to something around 4k, give or take, depending on conditions.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Guy,
I can't answer your questions for your particular boat and motor, but perhaps my experiece will give you some insight. I recently bought a new Mercury outboard that included gauges that show the fuel useage rate in gallons per hour. By cross referencing the fuel rate with the speed from my GPS I was able to calculate my miles per gallon at a variety of throttle settings. For my boat, the RPM that provides the highest speed without a big jump in fuel consumption is 3,000 RPM. So I consider that my optimum cruising speed. .... It might take you a while to gather the data, but you could do something like that with your boat. Cruise at a given RPM for a while and look at the miles traveled versus the gallons used. Repeat that for other RPM settings and you can find the cruising RPM you like best for your boat and motor. .... As for the target WOT RPM, note that there is a Johnson outboard forum here on iboats. Someone there might know what the RPM is for your motor.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Most outboards want around 5500 at WOT. If you are not hitting the rev limiter, then you are likely just fine. Most of these motors like 3,500 to 4,000 rpms as a good trade-off between mpg and performance and comfort.

But at the end of the day, its a Pontoon. Drive it the way you want. A 40 HP motor hardly burns any fuel anyway.

ahicks

Captain
It could, but that's the first question. The second would be where does it kick in?

My money would be on propping it for 5500, with no further worry.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
It does not have a rev limiter for "over reving". It does have a rev limiter for an alarm condition such as overheat. Revs will be limited to about 2500. Back to your original question. The recommended wide open throttle RPM band for your engine is 4500 - 5500 rpm. That is a design consideration for the engine. Your job is to make sure that the engine, on your boat, must reach somewhere in that rpm band at WOT with what you consider an average load. It is simple physics. The heavier the load the harder the engine has to work. So with your average load, head out and run wide open while playing with trim settings to get maximum speed and rpm. If the engine is not reaching the upper end of the rpm band then you need a prop with less pitch. If the engine tends to over rev, then you need a prop with more pitch. All of this requires that the engine be in tip-top operating condition. If it getting tired (down on compression for example, or has not been tuned up in ages) then changing props or looking for speed in other ways is a waste of time. Fix the problem. If you feel the need to buy a different prop, investigate "pontoon specific props." These props have very large rounded "elephant ear" blades that are designed for pontoons and work boats. Just so you know, that engine is really happy between 5500 5800. As for cruise speed -- that is strictly a personal thing. How fast you go determines how fast the engine must run. What you like is probably very different than everyone on this forum. If you have to worry about fuel consumption then you are in the wrong recreational activity.

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you Silvertip! I assumed there was a "correct answer" to my question, rather than generalizations. What was puzzling me was reading so many posts elsewhere about WOT being printed right on the data plate on the OB. Not on mine. I couldn't find it in a service manual, and my owners manual is 200 miles away at my cottage.

No worries about fuel consumption...in fact WOT is a rarity here. The lake I run on is less then 500 acres and very quiet. I feel like I'm making a spectacle of myself just testing what it'll do. :mmph:

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
...investigate "pontoon specific props." These props have very large rounded "elephant ear" blades that are designed for pontoons and work boats.

I looked at a couple websites for props and could find nothing described like this. Should I be looking at something particular?

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
must just be a descriptive term then--not some special type...