Pontoon flooring

catfishhoward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm going to recover the plywood to my pontoon and want to seal it so I can leave it out in the open and not have to worry about the floor rotting (ever). I thought about vinyl flooring but Home Depot doesn't sale UV outdoor vinyl sheet, the marine vinyl flooring doesn't look very durable and I'm worried about ripping it with the huge catfish flop round on the floor. Thought about the paint with rubber in it but not sure if it will last very long and would it clean up from the fish slim, blood and dirt.

Has anyone bought the sheet vinyl flooring from home depot and glue it down, seems like the cheapest and most durable choice and can be cleaned easily since it's smooth flooring? I'm not worried about slipping or how hot it gets and I know how to patch it if it tears but not sure how well the glue last or best glue to use or how bad it might fade, figure I would try to find a light color anyway.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would rhino line it. If it holds up to bricks and tools, it will hold up to catfish.

Plus, I simply hose it off for cleanup

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Let me prefix my opinion with, I have never ever own a pontoon boat. However, my neighbor does (did) own one and I've gone with him a couple times. Yes vinyl is a great idea IF you really seriously know how slippery it will get. There is no way to stop that issue. The next problem I see is that fact that water does hit the bottom of the floor on a pontoon. So unless you have a total aluminum floor, the wood will get wet. And the water will eventually penetrate the wood and could loosen the vinyl covering up regardless the type glue. So short of waterproofing (encapluling) the wood floor with a polyester resin and fiberglass or even use a coating of epoxy, I don't see anything that you could install that will last for ever. I would use a quality exterior grade plywood and waterproof it with WoodOnGlass's waterproofing mixture, and then possible paint the floor with a paint that you can add sand in it to stop the slick surface. Will that last forever? NO! But it will last for a very long time, and then you can refloor it ten years or more down the road to something else if you like. JMHO

catfishhoward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Never thought about the bottom of the plywood being soaked while on the lake that why I like forums, thanks. What if I paint the bottom of the wood with 2 coats of 1 part epoxy garage paint which I already have some? would that help keep the vinyl flooring glued down longer or would if be worst if the wood can't breath if that makes since?

catfishhoward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone used rhino line on there pontoon deck and if so how long as it held up for?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Has anyone used rhino line on there pontoon deck and if so how long as it held up for?

that is some what common and is often used for a durable floor, but i have no idea on how long it lasts, a long time i am sure

catfishhoward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone ever tried elastomeric coating like Ames products or Henry roofing products from Home Depot. I thought about apply 2 coats Ames Super Elasto-Barrier with a layer of their barrier fabric between the 2 coats than finish it off with 2 layer of their Safe-T-Deck? [h=1][/h]

Last edited:

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
I'm liking the idea of a rhino-lining-type floor. I've used Herculiner (a DIY mail order product) and 2-part epoxy floor coating on other projects and I feel the Herculiner would be a much better choice on a boat deck. The epoxy is hard & slick and would be slippery even with the sand or flecks added.
I'd use maybe half the amount of sand in the Herculiner--the rubbery material has good grip by itself and won't need much added grit. You can squeeze it through a paint sieve to catch most the grit, add back the amount you want.

A buddy of mine painted his mud truck with Herculiner & a roller. It came out surprisingly good looking and lasted through years of exposure and mudding abuse before he sold it off. NO peeling or chipping whatsoever.

I used .750? x 54? x 96? Starboard Anti-Skid Sheet Dot Texture Sanshade on my houseboat 5 years ago and can't recommend it highly enough. Pretty much stain resistant, not slippery and it does very well in heat. We're able to walk barefoot on it in 100+ degree weather. It's fairly dimensionally stable and very durable...

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Am I reading the website correctly? Is that anti skid sheet over $300 a sheet for 4x8x3/4?

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class
Am I reading the website correctly? Is that anti skid sheet over $300 a sheet for 4x8x3/4?

Yup, thats about right. It's heavy, costly, weak and can be slippery, other than that is great.

OP, are you replacing the wood or just looking to coat your old wood? If you are looking to just coat it, why not just get a marine rubber flooring like tuff coat? If your replacing the wood as well get a cca treated marine plywood, most with a lifetime warranty. Can be bought from pontoon suppliers online.Just bolt it down, coat it or put down an 80 mil marine vinyl flooring and your good.

Or are we trying to cheap our way through this?