Transom splash guards?

RyFitz13

Cadet
Hi there - new owner of a 2001 Smokercraft here... Out on the lake today, I noticed one of my transom splash guards is almost falling off the boat. Both guards are welded to the transom in 3 places. Starboard side is good, but the port side has two broken welds, and the thing is just kind of flapping around.

So, first question: what is this splash guard even accomplishing on my (probably underpowered) 40hp-equipped pontoon, and do I even need to worry about the thing?

Question 2 - assuming it's something I need to hang onto, is there any problem just drilling a couple holes and securing the guard with a couple good stainless bolts?

Thanks in advance!

ahicks

Captain
Those seem to get tore up pretty regularly on my boats. Between the scissor type trailers that are popular with guys transporting them in and out every season, and my lift, which I suspect might also be catching them on occasion.

Because mobile welders in our area tend to be on the pricey side, I have repaired them when they are as you describe, with the use of fairly heavy angle aluminum (1/4" thick). 3-4 bolts hold it to the splash shield, 3-4 more hold it to the engine pod at a perfect 90 degree angle.

If it were missing completely, I doubt I'd loose much sleep over it. Not on a boat used for putting around on a lake or river anyway. Concerns over whatever spray it might be trying to control would be at a minimum in my mind.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would take it to the welder myself. then get the rail welded that has a crack, get the mooring eyes on the ends of the pontoon rewelded, along with the M brackets that have cracks in them. good thing the local guys that I know only charge $50/hr