2015 Avalon Catalina 2585QL Ski Tow Bar

shidots

Recruit
I purchased this boat new after seeing it at the boat show. It was ordered, but there was a lot of confusion on the options selected. in that I missed ordering a ski tow bar. I have bought one from Avalon but a bit confused on how to mount it. The front tubes will mount directly on a 'hat' Channel, but not sure where the rear tubes line up. Not getting any help from Avalon or the dealer. I think it might be about warranty. All I want is a picture of the underneath to see if the tubes mount through the 'U' Channel or just in front of the 'U' Channel.

ahicks

Captain
If purchased from Avolon, there almost has to be a "print" SOMEWHERE, indicating how that bar is to be mounted. If the dealer is refusing to cooperate, I'd contact the factory. If no luck there, hopefully you bought the bar using a credit card, and you could talk with them about a "refund".

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
shidots,
I don't have the answer, but as it sounds like you are in a hurry, I'll offer these thoughts. ... I looked at a photo on the Avalon web site and saw a hoop like tow bar on one boat. Know that there are three main forces applied to such a tow bar when towing. First, the mounting plate farthest aft will be pushed hard down toward the water. Be sure there is enough structure beneath it to support that load. Second, the mounting plate farthest forward will be pulled hard upward. Be sure the support beneath it and the bolts that secure it will not pull up and out. Lastly, all the mounts will be pulled aft toward the skier. Those mounts and the bolts that hold them need to be such that they cannot slide aft. ... I'd be looking to mount it to more than just decking if it were mine.

ahicks

Captain
I agree, and would add that if the rear mount is through a channel, it would be one that goes the entire width of the boat.

shidots

Recruit
Based on all responses > mounted the bar through both the 'hat' channel and the 'u' channel.
Tested it with a wake board. All is good..