Pontoon Furniture and Carpet Question

MASTER Brian

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm looking on opinions for both on my pontoon. The furniture got partially destroyed during storage & theft at a repair facility and if I'm going to replace the furniture, I figure it's time to do the carpet as well.

As for the furniture I had already replaced the front flip style fishing seats with some buckets from Pontoon Stuff and they were a great price and I like the look/feel, so I'm looking heavily at them for the rest, unless someone has a better option. I see that there are seats on this site, I can't recall if I looked at them in the past or not, but will of course check them out.

As for the carpet, should I look for a certain weight of carpet? Should I even go with carpet? I see some people seem to use vinyl, I had thought about something like HydroTurf or some similar product as well. My boat is 18', so it doesn't seem to be a huge difference in price between cheap $11 per foot carpet and the expensive $15 per foot carpet, when it's all said and done. Obviously a $20 per foot vinyl adds a bit, but at that point ~$100 isn't that big of deal if everything else is going new.

I haven't priced the hydro turf yet, but I'm sure it would be much more expensive, so probably out of the question.

While on the subject of carpet/seats, I'm guessing at that point the rails will come down. I've slowly been stripping off the old vinyl decals and painting the panels red, is that something much easier when panels are off....meaning do the aluminum skins pull right out when I pull the rails apart? Not sure if I'll put a graphic on or just go with a plain. My wife works at a place where they can do vinyl graphics, so I might see if we can come up with something fun!!

Haven't filed the claim yet, still trying to discuss with insurance prior and then owner of repair facility prior to the claim, but trying to know where I'm at and what I need to get the boat back right. I realize a lot of this will be on my dime, but if they have to pay a shop to rebuild the old wood based furniture, I'm sure new off the shelf items will be much cheaper! Just not sure how'll they'll decide on that!

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lots of older threads here have addressed these questions.

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I replace my carpet or buy a new toon.... It will be with either the fake teak vinyl, or the "Sea Grass" type vinyl. Preference in that order. They both clean up so much easier than carpet. We beach our toon alot so sand on the floors is an issue for us.

As for insurance... If they can buy new plastic base seats cheaper, that is what they will do. They should also pay the labor value. SO, if you are doing all the work it should reduce the dimes out of your pocket.

To replace the carpet you must remove the railing, seats, Helm/console as well as the outer band as most floor coverings go under the outer band.

On the railing, I dont think most of the panels will just pop out. Most I have seen are installed in a slot that is then folded over and not removable. YMMV

MASTER Brian

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was noticing that the railing needs removed. Hoping that isn't too much of a task. My panels don't come right out either, they are folded over, but I'll try to clean them up and repaint with aluminum primer/paint.

nudeboater

Recruit
If it's like mine, there are bolts and nuts, not screws holding the rail on. I got a lot of them out by myself but a few of them it took me and my wife because the bolt would turn with the nut as I was trying to get them out.

jkust

Rear Admiral
If given a choice between carpet and no carpet, my choice would be no carpet.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Just in case you decide to recarpet.....

I re-deck and install new carpet on 4 or 5 pontoons each winter as winter work. I find that the premium heavy weight carpets go down better, look better and are easier to install well. Its gotten to the point that i will only install a 28oz or heavier carpet. Take this thought for what its worth to you. This is the internet but I am not reccomending a place nor soliciting service

ahicks

Captain
jakedaawg - (or anyone else caring to comment) any thoughts/experience regarding a quality vinyl floor? Have had carpet for many years. Would like to try something in a vinyl for easier maintenance, but don't want to invest in something I'll be sorry for. Life expectancy?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
jakedaawg - (or anyone else caring to comment) any thoughts/experience regarding a quality vinyl floor? Have had carpet for many years. Would like to try something in a vinyl for easier maintenance, but don't want to invest in something I'll be sorry for. Life expectancy?

In my little ezperience, with vinyl, i would not reccomend choosing a product based on price. UV resistance is far more important especially if you do not have a full cover or do not use a cover. I did one with a high quality product 4 yrs ago. Still looks good. Cheaper stuff from online super store 2yrs old not so good. The expensive stuff was from a top teir boat manufacturer.