Lowe vs Sweetwater

blazzinbird

Cadet
So we have the opportunity to buy a used 2013 Sweetwater 220sl premium with 115 Mercury 4 stroke from a family friend. For about the same price we can buy a new Lowe SS210 tritoon with a 115. We are needing opinions since we are new to both brands. We are assuming the Sweetwater is a higher quality boat?

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have no real experience with either pontoon. I did own 2010 lowe roughneck and it was built well and very tough. I would look at the specs of each and compair things like hull thickness and the quality of the flooring. Maby the Sweetwater has aluminum floor? Then compare features like bimini tops and changing station. Does the used one have a trailer? Are. They both tri toons or just the lowe? I have looked at the new lowe toons and they are pretty nice. The only thing I didn't like is they still have plywood floors. look up the msrp of the Sweetwater and see if the price seems fair. Lowe makes a nice toon but I don't think its top of the line quality. Put your own eyes on both boats and compair the construction and materials. That 3rd log is worth its weight in gold according to those that have them.

mpilot

Seaman
Honestly the 115 is a little small on a tritoon. It'll have near the same top speed as a two toon with strakes and will actually be less efficient at lower rpms. I would see how much the upgrade to a 150 hp is. What's the brand motor on the lowe?

Sweetwater is a lower end boat in the Godfrey brands but you can upgrade them to make them pretty nice.

Last edited:

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Personally I would go with the new Lowe and have a new boat with all the full warranties for the same money. IF the budget allowed I would also up the engine to a 150. On a new Lowe the 115 - 150 will cost about 25-2600.00 plus the need for hydraulic steering which is an 1100.00 option. Total of about 3600.00 which is a nice chunk of change. I am currently looking for a new tri-toon and every brand I have looked at has plywood decking. They all also have a lifetime warranty on that deck to the original owner, and some will let that be transferred one time to the second owner. In looking at used and new boats there are several out there with 115 hp engines and it being a 21 foot will be better than a longer boat. I would go new my self.

Last edited:

G Wally

Recruit
I have a 2012 Lowe sf214 tri toon with a 115 mercury 4 stroke and I love it. Its my first boat and am very happy with it the 115 with a mercury spitfire pontoon prop will push the boat 30 mph (gps) with me and two other people in it. The 115 is pretty good on gas at the 4500 to 5000 rpm range. The one thing I don't like the gas fill is on the side of the boat so if your not at a boat dock you have to use a hose and funnel to add fuel at the lake.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer
All good opinions, but the very best advice is try each one out for yourself. We all know that to buy a boat, one needs to take it out and see what you like or dislike about it. Have fun out there and welcome to the forum.