Install Depth Finder New Pontoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibbywmu2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello All,

This may sound crazy, but recently purchased a 2016 Sylvan Pontoon. I did not purchase a trailer because I have a cottage on a lake in Western Michigan, so there really is no need for the trailer. The marina will pick up the pontoon at the end of the season for service/storage, and drop it off in the beginning of the season.

It did not come with a depth finder which I can install myself, but since I don't have a trailer this may be difficult (I'd rather not pay the marina do it, can easily do it myself). Does anyone have any out of the box thinking since I don't own a trailer? I'm almost certain I'll have to get the pontoons above water so that I can mount the transducer, and have time for the Silicone/Epoxy to harden.

Any feedback appreciated!

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
The only thing I could think of would be (if your waterfront is sand or dirt and NOT rocky) to tilt the motor up and winch it onto the land with some sort of winch. Then, you could probably use a jack to jack it up( just do it carefully and don't dent the pontoons) Again, I don't know if it's feasible for you, but that is one way to do it. Also, having a trailer is usually much better. This is because you now have to rely solely on the marina to do everything. So, if they jack up prices you are stuck. Could you try to find one off craigslist or something for cheap?

gibbywmu2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Sea Doo. Well, to be honest its more of a pain to have the trailer. As you know, parking spots on lakefront are at a premium, and I don't have very much of an area to park at. So, if I had a trailer I'd have to use up a parking space which is a waste to me. Also, if I didn't want to do that, I'd have to pay to have it stored at the marina itself. It sounds like in this particular case I'm just better off having the marina install it at the end of the year. The depth finder isn't an absolute necessity at this point, more of a luxury. I know the lake very well so its not an issue not having one.

Good call on trying to butt the pontoon up to shore. I was thinking the same thing, but unfortunately I have a sea wall and not much shallow water before it. Hard to say without me being there if I could pull it up backwards to shore and have enough of the pontoons out of the water in order for me to install it. Also, no real place to attach a winch. I only have 1 small tree in my frontyard, so no where to hook a winch up (definitely not driving on my grass, would definitely cause more of a hassle than its worth).

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
Fabricate something like this out of starboard but instead of suction cups, make a backing plate then drill holes thru bracket and backing plate then "sandwich" over the pontoon transducer bracket and screw together.

s-l500.jpg

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would guess that you're not the only pontoon on the lake? And some of those other pontoons are stored on boat lifts? Get to know the guy with the lift, through them a BBQ, and mount the transducer. No epoxy required. Just self tapping or sheet metal screws. You're not mounting to the pontoon itself, but the bracket shown here.

transducer-location.jpg

No need to mount the head unit just yet. That can be done with the boat in the water. Tie up the wires and get back to the BBQ. More good reading can be found here.

http://pontoonguide.com/install-fish-finder-pontoon-boat/

And don't forget a whole bunch of cable ties. You'll need them.

Attachments

• transducer-location.jpg
    transducer-location.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 1

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I would guess that you're not the only pontoon on the lake? And some of those other pontoons are stored on boat lifts? Get to know the guy with the lift, through them a BBQ, and mount the transducer.
+1 on that :)

No problem, I have a lot of trees to attach a winch too so that is why I suggested it. Good luck!
Afterthought: is there a sand bar of some sorts that you could beach on?

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
How much is your time worth? And would you rather be on the water enjoying your new toon or trying to mess with it?

While I love a good challenge, you maybe chasing a unicorn.

How does the dealer plan on getting the boat delivered to you? Have them drop it off and leave it on a trailer. Then install it yourself. Then launch it and take the trailer back. Other wise, wait till the fall.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Rent or borrow a trailer if you are already feet wet.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Unless I'm missing something, there's no need for any epoxy or silicone, you aren't drilling into the actual pontoon are you, and if that's what is needed there are epoxies that work underwater.

I used to do work underwater all the time, use air tools, you only need to drill two screw holes.

Or, mount the transducer to a small plate and use the underwater epoxy to bond it to the mounting plate on the toon. When it's out of the water you can change to whatever mounting method you want.

Last edited:

JOLLYTOON

Cadet
I am in the same situation. My boat is in a wet slip and I need to,put a new transducer on it. I am going to borrow a trailer to put my new one on. The had part is not mounting it it's running the cord under to the back.

gibbywmu2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Everyone.....thanks for all of the help! I was able to have a friend help. We took the pontoon to the beach and pulled up to shore as far as possible. We were able to install the bracket (by hand), even though it was around 3-4" underwater so far. Only took 2 machine screws, but its in good. I've taken the boat for several test runs and no issues! Glad thats done. Did NOT need the trailer. Running the transducer cable and wiring the gauge was a cinch.

icwingman

Seaman
Hello All,

This may sound crazy, but recently purchased a 2016 Sylvan Pontoon. I did not purchase a trailer because I have a cottage on a lake in Western Michigan, so there really is no need for the trailer. The marina will pick up the pontoon at the end of the season for service/storage, and drop it off in the beginning of the season.

It did not come with a depth finder which I can install myself, but since I don't have a trailer this may be difficult (I'd rather not pay the marina do it, can easily do it myself). Does anyone have any out of the box thinking since I don't own a trailer? I'm almost certain I'll have to get the pontoons above water so that I can mount the transducer, and have time for the Silicone/Epoxy to harden.

Any feedback appreciated!

First u don't need epoxy u will never get it off when it breaks. Is there a tide in the lake. Beach it backwards let tide go out. Mount transducer. Maybe even put a few boards on the mounting side u could dig boards and float it off . U can also some 2 x 6 down use a floor jack on pontoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.