Mounting Downriggers to rail?

evilstepdad

Cadet
Hello again. Just made a deal on two Canon electric downriggers and I would like to mount them to the rails but really don't want to drill any holes. Have a Sun Tracker fishing barge 20'. Have you mounted downriggers to your rails and if so could you tell me how and how is it working out? Are the rails strong enough etc. Was looking at something like this http://store.cannondownriggers.com/products/325092/RailSide_Mount but if there is something different or better then that would be great.

As always thanks for any replies.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
I'm not sure I would mount downriggers to my rails. If you have ever snagged a ball and seen how hard they pull even with the slip set right it would scare me. Can you mount a board across the rails and put the down riggers on those? That's pretty a very common way of mounting them.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I'm not sure I would mount downriggers to my rails. If you have ever snagged a ball and seen how hard they pull even with the slip set right it would scare me. Can you mount a board across the rails and put the down riggers on those? That's pretty a very common way of mounting them.

I agree. Rail mounts are a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm sure it's been done and done successfully, but no thanks. Too much money in tackle to risk a chance encounter with Murphy

Last edited: