Pontooning around Chicago

Sandrakay

Recruit
Hi everyone. New here and have really enjoyed reading all the various pontoon Q & A. My husband and I are first-time boat owners and we love it! We purchased a brand new 24 ft. Sun Tracker Fishin Barge as it will hold 12 and we have a large family. It was loads of fun last summer. It was fun building it online and added all the good stuff. We knew we would want to take it on bigger lakes and the river so purchased a Mercury 150. We took it down the Illinois River to Grafton last fall and that was way cool! This summer we have planned a trip up the Illinois to Chicago. My question to you guys is about pontooning along the coast of Chicago. Has anyone actually done that and how did the pontoon hold up? We have no desire to pontoon on Lake Michigan big water - just plan to hug the coast. The marina/harbor we plan to dock at is north of the Chicago River. Any advice you could spare would be appreciated!

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I know the area well as I work for a company in Naperville through live in the twin cities.

As to toning on Lake, MI....biggest issue will be waves, other boats and weather.

Do you see other toons on the lake? My guess is probably not, but I think depending on where you boat it wound be cool as hell.

We drive up to the very north end of the lake a lot and up to Macinack Island. The views are stunning! And a pontoon would be very cool up that way, though a long way to drag it.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
One more thing....a word of caution....many a boat "accident" and disaster has started with small boats operating near the shore to only end up out to sea...so to speak. Weather can change and engine failures happen. On a small lake or a river, there is always an "out". A major lake? Not so much. Do not do this without a marine radio.

ahicks

Captain
Our boating career (the last 40 years or so) we've 'tooned all over the eastern half of the country - including many larger rivers, the Great Lakes (St. Clair and northern mostly) and the eastern Gulf of Mexico. Absolutely love cruising and exploring via 'toon. My advice would be to know your boat first and foremost! If you have no experience with it, or it's fresh out of the shop, keep it close to home (shore?) until you get some time on it and trust it. From that point, have a good idea of what to expect from the weather and realize a pontoon is not a very comfortable thing to be on when dealing with waves over 12-18", not for long anyway.