Drains in Tubes of Pontoon Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have just discovered that I have water in one of the tubes on our pontoon, is there a way to install drains in the tubes without having them welded in?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Do you know how the water got in the tube? I ask because you may need some welding to fix the leak. If so, you could have the drain added at the same time. ... It also matters so you'll know how long you can leave the boat in the water before you have to take it out to drain it.

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you know how the water got in the tube? I ask because you may need some welding to fix the leak. If so, you could have the drain added at the same time. ... It also matters so you'll know how long you can leave the boat in the water before you have to take it out to drain it.

Yes I know where the water is coming in at. There is a very slight crack in one of the support base at the tube. I thought it had been fixed but looks like it hasn't. I have taken the pressure off that weak spot but the crack must have not been sealed correctly. That is a good thought about having both fixed at the same time. I was just hoping there was a way to have a drain installed without having it welded, the guy is really proud of his welding on drains.

ahicks

Captain
I had an older boat that I needed to drain. I drilled a 3/16 hole at the bottom rear of the pontoon. Thankfully, there were no bulkheads, and it took about a day to drain. I used a stainless sheet metal screw and a dab of silicone to seal the hole. Never had to use it again....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I drain my buddies logs from the top. Drop in a small hose weighted with lead strips taped to it, drop into the plugs from the top. Then add about 2-3 psi of air blowing into the hole next to it. A rag and duct tape hold it in place. Air pressure forces water up hose and out. Then while it's pressurized, use soapy water to look for leaks

liltea06

Recruit
Good luck! We had this issue last year, our guy welded across the top to reinforce the pontoons a little better and installed drains, so far no problems, a good idea for sure.

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks liltea06, I appreciate that. The strange thing is I went out and popped the plastic cap on top of the tubes and the tubes were pressurized. I did not find any water at all. If there is pressure in the tubes, there can't be a hole where water can get in if the tubes are holding pressure, right.

randy ussery

Recruit
jiju1943, everyone always yells "get it welded" when anything comes up on a pontoon, and with respect to cracks I agree as its the only way to stop any prorogation and restore structural integrity to the area, but that said, things like pin holes and drains can be safely and easily addressed less having to chase down a welder. About 4 years ago, I purchased a Sun Tracker Pontoon from a guy over in Hilton Head that used it in saltwater and over time the toons developed a few small pin holes via electrolysis. I cleaned and sealed the pin holes ( just the ones dripping water) using Lock Tight Marine Epoxy (formulated for below water line use). Purchased from Lowes Home Improvement for around $5 a tube. I cleaned the pin holes using a wire brush and applied the epoxy per the instructions, it never leaked again. That was just under 4 years ago. As for removing the water from the toons, I purchased two 1/2 diameter snap plugs from Bass Pro for $4 and drilled a hole 1/2 above the weld seam on the rear of each toon and once the water escaped, I adjusted the snap plugs to tightly cam over and sealed the holes. No welding, no leaks. Again all this occurred nearly four years ago and the toons have never taken on any water since. And before the na sayers, chime in, my pontoon has been wet moored to my boat dock (Lake Sinclair, Milledgeville, Ga) with only an annual pull out for cleaning to remove excessive algae, etc.

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
jiju1943, everyone always yells "get it welded" when anything comes up on a pontoon, and with respect to cracks I agree as its the only way to stop any prorogation and restore structural integrity to the area, but that said, things like pin holes and drains can be safely and easily addressed less having to chase down a welder. About 4 years ago, I purchased a Sun Tracker Pontoon from a guy over in Hilton Head that used it in saltwater and over time the toons developed a few small pin holes via electrolysis. I cleaned and sealed the pin holes ( just the ones dripping water) using Lock Tight Marine Epoxy (formulated for below water line use). Purchased from Lowes Home Improvement for around $5 a tube. I cleaned the pin holes using a wire brush and applied the epoxy per the instructions, it never leaked again. That was just under 4 years ago. As for removing the water from the toons, I purchased two 1/2 diameter snap plugs from Bass Pro for $4 and drilled a hole 1/2 above the weld seam on the rear of each toon and once the water escaped, I adjusted the snap plugs to tightly cam over and sealed the holes. No welding, no leaks. Again all this occurred nearly four years ago and the toons have never taken on any water since. And before the na sayers, chime in, my pontoon has been wet moored to my boat dock (Lake Sinclair, Milledgeville, Ga) with only an annual pull out for cleaning to remove excessive algae, etc.

Randy, I really do appreciate that information, I didn't think of the snap plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.