First time boat buyer 24' SunTracker Fishin Barge XP3 vs Sweetwater 2286FC

padregtr

Recruit
I've narrowed it down based on budget first of all. The SunTracker has nationally published prices, and I think the Sweetwater in a tritoon, with full lifting strakes (the XP3 version of the Sun Tracker has 3/4 length strakes), are around the same price ($40k-ish BMT)..maybe the Sweetwater is 3K more. We want 4 point fishing chairs inside the rail and we like the seating in front of the helm, although the seat on the Sweetwater is much shorter than the Sun Tracker and is configured as the livewell and rod box.

I can do a deeper dive later, but my questions right now are kinda superficial. Usage - probably 50/50 cruising/fishing. We don't live on water. It's just the wife and me. We have 2 grown kids, not married yet.

Which one will hold up better in general? I haven't been able to get into a Sun Tracker yet to check the furniture/upholstery - is it lesser quality than the Sweetwater? I'm a big guy - 6-1 300lbs. Are the seating mounts (helm and fishing) and configurations sturdy/flimsy in one or the other.

i'm thinking of putting a 150hp on either. Would a 115 hp give us all a good ride on the 22' Sweetwater w/tritoon and strakes?

Is the Suntracker 10 year bow to stern transferable (1 time) warranty really a selling point, and do you think it adds to the resale value? Some products have long warranties but the item spends half of it's time in warranty repair. Anyone experienced with warranty repairs and quality of service for either of the boats?

Underskin...I can't find anything that says it is available on the Sun Tracker, but I think so on the Sweetwater.

I don't like the aft port side little vinyl snap on curtain of the Sweetwater that covers the battery. Does it annoy anyone else?

Will a #55 thrust trolling motor pull the 24' Sun Tracker around OK and would it hold it in a mild-moderate wind (South Carolina lakes)?

Anything big that I'm missing or another brand I should be looking at?
Thanks in advance.

ron nh

Cadet
I looked at all brands last year so I assume not much has changed. I think the xp3 comes standard with underskin, I can't imagine any tri-toon without it. I felt the Sweetwater was a little better quality IE; seat comfort, Parts overall. Up here the dealers were pretty fair for the Sweetwater, They were definitely cheaper after negotiating which as you know Sun Tracker won't do. You'll want at least an 80lb troll. If water sports aren't important the 115 will be fine but the 150 would be much better on that size boat, especially with many bodies on board will make a huge difference. Godfrey builds excellent boats. I'm sure the next guy will say the exact opposite, just my opinion. Good luck.

padregtr

Recruit
Thanks. We looked at both yesterday and the Sweetwater is coming out on top. I was thinking of getting a 4 point for fishing, hence the Suntracker, but after thinking about it, when I'm up front fishing, I'm almost always standing bass fishing. So I think a 2 point rear fish will work. We also looked at Premier but could not get a salesman to wait on us. The upholstery looked very nice and we liked the layout. I think they are more expensive than the Sweetwater. Saw a Bennington too. The Sweetwater guy really knew his stuff and had me pretty much sold on a lot of the unseen features. It seems to be a quality build.

ron nh

Cadet
I went with that same set up, didn't really want 4 point, I always stand outside the playpen up front anyway. It's nice to have a layback seat up there instead.