Bunk covering

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey I know that technically this is a trailer thing but I thought the pontoon forum would be a better focus:). My bunks are getting ready for covering replacement. The carpet is worn on a couple of corners. I have been thinking about using PVC material instead of carpet. The wood is sound. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used a pvc type material for my bunks and n my large jon boat and it worked real slick. Pun intended. It was at home depot and sold as garage door trim. 7" wide sold in 7' length had wood grain on one side and 1/2" groves on the other. I used the groved side up. No chance of ever hitting a screw and less friction. I am thinking about doing this to my toon bunks now . Just dont unhook till all the way in the water!

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I put bunk slicks on my pontoon in March. I ordered the material by the foot. For 2x4 bunks use #1320 and #1322. Total cost for my 21 footer was $167.
http://mcclaintrailers.com/parts/carpet.htm If you want to call them: Gene Griffin
McClain Trailers
713-675-0440
Senior Sales Consultant​

jiju1943

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I used a pvc type material for my bunks and n my large jon boat and it worked real slick. Pun intended. It was at home depot and sold as garage door trim. 7" wide sold in 7' length had wood grain on one side and 1/2" groves on the other. I used the groved side up. No chance of ever hitting a screw and less friction. I am thinking about doing this to my toon bunks now . Just dont unhook till all the way in the water!

I second this, I have the PVC on our pontoon bunks and am very pleased with it. Like Cat said, don't unhook until the rear of the toon is in the water, it can slide off on a fair incline. I also strap the rear of the toon down just in case I hit a huge bump while on the road, or some idiot tries to get you to hit the rear of his truck on the way to the lake. That happened to me, glad the toon was strapped down or it would have gone over the front of the trailer.

I have had the PVC on for a year now and it shows no sign of wear, I am glad I installed it, We got the 1X4 PVC from Lowe's. It isn't slick as ice but it is way slicker than carpet.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
I did my boards on my 24 ft pontoon boat. with the plastic strips, the whole boat., . It looks good but the boat still needs to be in the water before it will move.