2008 Party Barge Rides Too Low, Especially in the Front

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2008 21' Sun Tracker Party Barge. I've owned it since 2009. I absolutely love the boat, but it has never done well with 5 or 6 adults on board, and always seems to dip in the front when there's any sort of weight in the front. Granted, there are couches up there and that's where people tend to sit, but if I have three adults in the front and two in the back, I still feel like I'm nose diving and have to be very careful as to not get water over the front.

The boat is rated for 13 but honestly 6 adults is all I am comfortable with, and that is if we have three in the back. It's embarrassing - we have friends that want to go but this boat just doesn't ride well. I see other boats on the river loaded down with 10+ people, and I can only dream of that.

I considered adding a third toon but don't believe my 60 hp Bigfoot is enough motor.

If anyone has a similar boat, I would be interested in knowing how your boat rides. If not, I would be interested in suggestions others would have. Gas tank and battery are in the back, and outside of normal life jacket storage, etc..., there just isn't much up there that should be making it plow like it is.

Please help!

Thanks.
Dwight
Waukon, Iowa

Last edited:

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
First, make sure you don't have water in the logs. Second, move all the stored equipment as far aft as possible. Third, consider an extended engine pod like this one. It will move the weight of the engine farther aft to ofset some of the forward weight of your passengers.
5634946_20160210100314212_1_LARGE.jpg

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Barges are very trim sensitive. Any significant bow weight, especially on a 21 footer, can cause water to splash over the deck and even the front gate if there's any chop at all or when the boat is squared up to a wake (not that I've ever done that intentionally;)). That said, unless they're heavy I wouldn't expect two people up front to cause extensive plowing. I assume you're trimming the motor? That really helps, or it did on my 21' Suntracker. Only other things I can think of Tommy mentioned. Don't store anything heavy under the couches and check for water in the toons. I agree something doesn't sound right.

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys. I sure can't imagine that I've got water in the toons, but will check. I have it on a trailer right now - can I just knock on them and see if something doesn't sound "hollow" or what is the best way to check?

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Just grab the boat and shake it as hard as you can. The front of one of the toons is a good place to get a grip. If there's water in there you'll hear sloshing.

Jeep Man

Commander
I have an '08 Parti Barge 20. The only time I was bow heavy was when I had the max of 10 on board. Definitely felt unsafe. Weight distribution has always been an issue, so having the lighter souls behind makes the ride better. The 3rd toon will help tremendously. It will actually help the 60 hp by increasing the buoyancy.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Jeep Man - did you add a third toon?

Don't be overly optimistic about the benefits of a third toon. It would have to help some, but the additional weight could decrease your speed and you might find it cost prohibitive. Not saying it's a bad idea necessarily. Just saying think it over carefully and start with the basics.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
I have added a 3rd toon didn't seem to be that expensive but I looked around and found a good price on my 3rd log having the transom built in the center log is the only way to go.
Yes it's true you will lose a little performance with that small of a motor but the security you gain is well worth the lose.
You can always add a larger motor. I have a 150 on mine now and love it it tops out in the low 40s lightly loaded but 30ish is where I cruse at .I don't have furniture as mine is set up for fishing but when you have a couple live wells ,ice chest, gear it adds up to a lot of weight and I've never had any problems