Pontoon Fire Pit

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Looks like a thread with a lot of whining and nothing material to add

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Of course any thread like the other one and this will be opinions. Most of us think there better ways to spend our money and it's it's yours to spend as well.

Which model were you looking at?

WaterDR

I just think they are cool as hell. They ain't cheap. But so far Some strong opinions but yet no personal experience.

Our toon is slipped all season on the St Croix. If we are lucky we get to use it from May through September and for this right we pay $4200 to rent a slip.

Having some warmth and the ambiance of a nice fire would sure buy us some extra nights.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I know for a fact, at our marina, there is to be no grilling on the docks or on the boats. feel free to do it out on the water, but not in your slip. that unit is as close as a grill would be and not allowed. Now at a different marina, you might be able to. But be prepared to pay for someone else's boats if something happens. And that would include, some one has a small fuel spill, not reported, and you start the fire pit and boom.......

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you Google images for: pontoon boat fire
you will see lots of interesting fire pit ideas and lots of burning boats. It seems to offer the pros and cons evenly.

WaterDR

If you google car accident, you see lots of cars having accidents :)

Anyway, we have no such rule. In fact, people grill routinely on their boats and on the dock. Smartest thing? Maybe not.

WaterDR

I know for a fact, at our marina, there is to be no grilling on the docks or on the boats. feel free to do it out on the water, but not in your slip. that unit is as close as a grill would be and not allowed. Now at a different marina, you might be able to. But be prepared to pay for someone else's boats if something happens. And that would include, some one has a small fuel spill, not reported, and you start the fire pit and boom.......

Can you explain how a small fuel spill would result in a fire from a grill? Other than a grill being lit and somehow getting in the water, I am not sure how it would happen. I suppose anything is possible but I would think a cigarette or a match would poser a much bigger danger especially since people toss them in the water a lot....shouldn't but it happens.

Btw, we dont allow fueling on to water at all. It's illegal unless done at a fuel station.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Can you explain how a small fuel spill would result in a fire from a grill? Other than a grill being lit and somehow getting in the water, I am not sure how it would happen. I suppose anything is possible but I would think a cigarette or a match would poser a much bigger danger.

Often caused by poor judgement or alcohol.

Just buy the darned thing and quit trying to justify it. You know you want it.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
I posted the other thread originally. I couldn't pull the trigger. Basically it's coast guard approved because propane devices are not prohibited on board. So it's not specifically coast guard approved. I completely agree about the cool factor, ambiance, and extending the season a bit. From what I've heard these things let off a lot of heat. LOL as I'm typing this up it makes me want to reconsider. I guess when it comes down to it I'm a little afraid of one of my friends or family members getting burned.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Fuel vapors seek the lowest point. I know that. But as stated, a stray spark or strange wind can bring them vapors to unusual places. Maby a fire pit, not so much, unless you are cooking on it, A grease flare up has the potential to spark out of the grill. As I said before, feel free to grill outside of the marina, just not at your slip. Many of our boaters have grills, and use them. Just not in the marina.

WaterDR

We don't have a grilling restriction at the marina. In fact, in June, we have a huge Marina party and everyone has their grill out. Mostly grilling on the dock itself. We even have some permanently mounted grills.

Smartest thing in the world? Probably not. but neither are lots of things

You can't park at the marina without a million dollar liability policy.

we don't allow swimming at the marina off your boat due to the risk of electrical shock should a boat not be grounded. In our case, we are not plugged in, so it wouldn't matter, but that's the rule regardless.

Oh, and....I ordered one. :)

I don't see the risk being an issue and last night, would have been a perfect night for it.

The biggest PIA will be storing it when we are not using it. It's portable....and may fit in our dock box.

WaterDR

Well, I now own one. It's cool as hell!

However, it is strange to have a fire on the boat.

By all accounts, it seems contained and safe. But with anything else, inappropriate use adds risk.

The biggest danger I see is this.....

The pan gets hot. While there is warnings against storing items under the grill, if someone put paper under it, you could have a problem.

Also, I do t think I will leave the propane tank on the boat when we are away.