Pontoon corrosion.. Need advice

rome63

Recruit
Hi all.. I have a pontoon and it is nearly 5 years old now. Recently, I found some corrosion on it and I have cleaned it. But still some spots are appearing. When I talked with an industrial corrosion protection dealer in Toronto, he said about powder coating and liquid coating. I have a concern that, can I get complete protection if I apply a corrosion protection now? Do you have any other methods to suggest me. Please reply as soon as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Some pictures showing the corrosion may help by showing the extent of the corrosion.

Is the toon slipped or trailered when not in use?

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Aluminum corrodes. That's what it does. The corrosion layer is actually a corrosion inhibitor unlike iron.

I have been an industrial water expert for 22 years. And with this comes much experience in metallurgy.

Can you describe what the surface of the metal looks like?

As a general rule, always remove organics from a pontoon, but never use acid or a grinder. If you do the later, you are actually removing the protective coating.

There are protective coatings you can buy like shark hide that I do recommend but NOT if you keep your toon in the water.

My toon stays in all summer...floating....it comes out and I power wash and put away.

If the metal has turned dark, you are good to go. That's what it is supposed to do.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Are you in salt water?
If its moored in a marina it may have an electrolysis problem with another boat or power in the marina.

Jeep Man

Commander
Welcome to the forum. I'm not far from you and we are both a looooooong way from salt water. Where do you keep the boat and is it at a mooring or on a trailer. Possibly are you confusing corrosion with normal discoloration? If so, there are cleaners and protectant. Is your boat in contact with pressure treat lumber anytime, such as your trailer bunks? Pics would help.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Guys, when aluminum corrodes, it discolors. That's what it does. Aluminum does not rust, but it corrodes. The corrosion process itself produces a protective layer that prevents further corrosion.