Bimini to Hardtop Conversion

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
I decided to convert the existing Bimini Top to a Hardtop in order to gain deck space for the kids, grandkids and great grandkids to sun bathe.

Here's the start of the conversion. 5 each 1.5" x 2.5" x .125" x 24' 6063 rectangular tubing.
The deck frame will be 10' x 8' covered with plywood then either carpet or linolemum.

412238547.jpg

I think I also have enough material to convert the stern Bimini top to a Hardtop.

411454257.jpg

Plan is to have the frame(s) fabricated, tig welded and installed within a week, unless of course, I'm called to go fishing or crabbing :biggrin2 .

I'll post pics accordingly.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Those look like sturdy vertical supports. Be sure to brace the deck supports to withstand side loads. Wind and the weight of the elevated deck on a rocking boat will generate some significant side loads. And if someone decides to jump into the water from the top deck, it will also need support. ... It looks like a fun project. I know my family would love for me to build something like that.

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for your advice. Plan is to include stiffeners. :encouragement:

I didn't get a chance to work on the decking today because I took the wife to Half Moon Bay, CA beach to watch the surfers then had a great lunch at the Marina restuarant over looking the Pacific Ocean. Got to keep the Admiral happy ;) .

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
Today I was able to cut the pieces to length then laid them on the ground to take this picture.

Hopefully by Tuesday, I will be able to bring to a shop to have them tig welded together.

412245649.jpg

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
How is the top project coming? Did you get it finished?

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
The frame has been welded but I haven't had a chance to work on it becasue I've been crabbing and last week, I finished outfitting my fishing boat with the downriggers for Salmon season.

A week or two ago, I ordered the vinyl covering and glue from Pontoon Stuff and was finally delivered yesterday.

Brought the Pontoon home from the Marina last week and decided that's I'll strip off the existing carpet on top of the cabin so that both cabin and new hardtop will have identical vinyl covering.

So will get back on the project again in between fishing for Salmon and Ling Cod.

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
Until too many unfinished ones start stacking up on him....

ahicks

Captain
True enough! Around our place though, there is this great equalizer force. Things start lagging, and life as I know it can become difficult, especially when stuff on the honey do list is involved..... At that point, the finance minister can cut off my finances, leaving me with a budget of naada when the mad money has been used up. Won't be long after that point that I'll be too poor to pay attention. This is the point I was referring to above (unfinished projects stacking up).

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry for the long delay but had lots of stuff happening. I towed the Party Hut to the Marina yesterday and here's a couple of pics of the hardtop.

412478151.jpg

412472637.jpg

412478153.jpg

412478154.jpg

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks HT. I ordered screen shade fabric that will be attached to the sides. Will post pics when finished.

ptm-tarps-blue-polyethylene-mesh-tarp-14-x-30-tmb1430-6.gif

Last edited:

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
On Memorial Day, the kids sun bathed and even jumped off the hardtop to swim in the Sacramento Delta. Even the great grandkids took a dip.

412562135.jpg

412564094.jpg

As for the sun screen...

Before

412472638.jpg

After

412556948.jpg

I still need to attach snaps on the bottom of the screen.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There are no better reasons to have a pontoon boat.

Nicmiceric

Cadet
Hi...Where did you get your screen shade fabric? Did you have it sewn as in the picture or did you purchase it as shown in the picture? Looking to enclose my pontoon....Thanks