Pontoon doggie ladder advise

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any ideas on the best ladder/ramp for a pontoon? The ones that like cabelas sell attach to the rear ladder with brackets. Don't REALY want to attach there because we also use that ladder for people. Not sure what my options are here. Ideally would like something that attaches quickly and easily to the front.

alldodge

Staff member
Any ideas on the best ladder/ramp for a pontoon? The ones that like ******* sell attach to the rear ladder with brackets. Don't REALY want to attach there because we also use that ladder for people. Not sure what my options are here. Ideally would like something that attaches quickly and easily to the front.

Only one I've seen and also currently use is the paws aboard. If needs to go on the swim ladder because it uses the ladder to support the extended ladder. I modified it so I have two bolts/rods which drop into the tubes of the ladder when extended. Did not like the Velcro, just to much hassle.

Have seen some on house bots for small dots which have a L bracket which sits just below the water for little dogs to climb on.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How big is the pooch? An alternative to a doggie ladder is a life vest with the handles on top.

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
All dodge I was looking at those but ruled them out because of the ladder brackets.in your opinion can it be modified to attach somewhere else on the boat? GA , I have 3 full grown labs at 90-100 lbs each that do dock diving for Dock Dogs competitions so it's pretty much impossible to keep them out of the water.

alldodge

Staff member
With lab you need a big ladder.
All dodge I was looking at those but ruled them out because of the ladder brackets.in your opinion can it be modified to attach somewhere else on the boat?

The issue is they need support down low, so if not a ladder hanging low you need something else. I designed it so all we need to do is pic it up and slide the rods into the top of the ladder, takes about 10 seconds, a bit longer if the wind is blowing and boat is swaying. Can be done with one hand most cases in the water

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
All dodge , you would not happen to have a pic of your setup, would you

alldodge

Staff member
All dodge , you would not happen to have a pic of your setup, would you

Have some, but none of how it was modified. I'll make a note and take some pics tomorrow (if I remember, CRS stuff) and post up some

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I wouldn't want to be pulling 90+ lb. dogs out of the water with a handle on a vest either. AD's ladder sounds like a better idea.

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
I like the ladder idea also but do not want to give my ladder up.

alldodge

Staff member
If you have kids going on and off quite often then you either don't want to do this, or maybe get another people ladder.

Due to lack of room I was unable to fully attach the Dog Ladder (DL), but you should get the idea. Removed everything that came with it except the cross bar. Drilled two holes which match up with my ladder tubes. Had to remove the plastic covers. The DL floats and has a lanyard which is attached to the boat. I float on a noodle and pic up the one end and slide the bolts into the tubes. The swim platform is about a foot above the water.

Photo947.jpg

Photo948.jpg

Photo949.jpg

untitled.png

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm thinking I might be able to make a bracket that is mounted to the floor at my side gate. Does the DL float?

alldodge

Staff member
Yes it floats, but it needs to have something to press against for a dog to use it. Just like a ladder you would use it needs a method of hold the bottom of the ladder for the load. There are fold up brackets which fold out and lock in place. When done it folds in half and all the braces and components are kept inside. Takes a couple minutes to open or close up and stow away

DL supports.jpg

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea I understand. I think if I fasten to my deck and let it push down until it hits the toon I should've good. Guess I will need to get it and just figure it out in place

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I messed around with a ramp that floats and such and after a while they just didn't work well enough for the trouble. My labradoodle was 70 pounds and actually got pretty good at climbing the ladder people use to get in and out of the boat. I had someone tell me that after they learn where the rungs are under the water that they can climb ladders pretty good. he really did get pretty good at it.