Ready to buy a pontoon - questions on size, HP, towing

kerofish1

Cadet
Didn't want to start a new thread...well, we leased a slip at our favorite marina. Now we need the boat! We're going to go take a look at this boat next week. Does it look like a good deal? If we're buying used (i.e. cash!), this the upper end of our budget. It ticks most of our boxes. What do we look for in a used pontoon? I'm hoping that the fact that it's being sold by a dealer will guarantee basic seaworthiness, but I don't know what to check..

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
That motor is a negative in this pontoon choice, not that it's actually bad, just that they don't make them anymore and many places won't work on them.

Jeep Man

Commander
Two big negatives there. The motor for one, as previously mentioned, and two is the pontoons. U shaped pontoons are almost always foam filled. The likelihood that these are COMPLETELY watertight is questionable. Should the foam get waterlogged you have a massive problem. Stick with round tubes, the bigger diameter the better. This translates into more buoyancy. A leak in a round tube is easily fixed.

ahicks

Captain
Not having any experience checking out a boat might be partially offset by having a 3rd person check it out for you. Most areas will have mobile techs available, who generally work pretty reasonably - something not normally said about dealers. This tech could act as a buyers agent kinda? Having somebody like that available to check out a boat you find interesting may let you sleep a little better regarding your decision. Also, this individual may have local knowledge of something available.

kerofish1

Cadet
U shaped pontoons are almost always foam filled. The likelihood that these are COMPLETELY watertight is questionable.

Eep, that sounds like waterlogged stringers all over again. Thanks for the feedback, guys. I didn't even think about the brand of motor. Sounds like this boat isn't worth the potential issues. Unfortunately, it's also the only one in our area right now that fits our parameters. I'll keep looking. This is making me flip-flop on my cash versus finance debate...

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
Why don't you just go to your lake on sunny weekend and find out what the other boaters have, ask them questions and then come up with your answer .No matter what you want and what they have no one is completely satisfied with there boat , some are too small or don't have enough Hp How about gong to a couple of boat shows the last day are the best day to get a bargain.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a 14 ft enclosed trailer to haul dirt bikes. Probably about the same weight and tongue weight as your new toy. I used my cherokee with an inline 6 and it puled it just fine. BUT, it eventually beat the crap out of the suspension and drive train. "Trail rated is not the same as "Tow rated". Make sure your trailer has surge brakes as I was never really satisfied with the braking of the Jeep to start with. Good luck and Enjoy!

Last edited:

lncoop

Vice Admiral
HI Kero. Late to the party but here are some thoughts that are worth what you're paying for them. First, if you plan to use it on LOTO 20' will be too short, let alone 18'. Second, it sounds like you'd benefit from a list of things to look for/at when considering a used barge. There are several posts here that provide that info. You should be able to find them by searching this section. The good news is generally speaking it's much easier for the novice buyer to pick out a good used barge as compared to a glass boat because there's much less potential for hidden problems and barges aren't as susceptible to major issues resulting from neglect or even misuse. Not saying the process is fool proof, but it is much more intuitive. Happy hunting!

kwikk9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Floating living room, party barge and the boat my 4 year old grandaughter can pilot (from my lap, off course). Took me a while to adjust to cruising as our boating style. I formerly owned a fast and agile Boston Whaler. It certainly is more family and guest friendly than the Whaler.. We have an 18' Sweetwater with a 40hp Yamaha. Does the job for cruising/swimming/fishing.

kwikk9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
HI Kero. Late to the party but here are some thoughts that are worth what you're paying for them. First, if you plan to use it on LOTO 20' will be too short, let alone 18'. Second, it sounds like you'd benefit from a list of things to look for/at when considering a used barge. There are several posts here that provide that info. You should be able to find them by searching this section. The good news is generally speaking it's much easier for the novice buyer to pick out a good used barge as compared to a glass boat because there's much less potential for hidden problems and barges aren't as susceptible to major issues resulting from neglect or even misuse. Not saying the process is fool proof, but it is much more intuitive. Happy hunting!

Great advice. Everything on a pontoon is pretty much out front for inspection. Most focus should be on the motor condition.
Having said that, I believe any boat that presents a sloppy appearance shows the owner never really cared about maintenance, either.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Don't know if this was covered on motor size? lf your using as smaller motor cause you just want to cruise at lets say 15 mph.
A 50 hp at 15 mph will be at least 3/4 throttle. lf you had a 75 it would probably be at less than 1/2 throttle to maintain the 50-s cruising speed.
Much less strain on the 75.

Skypirate

Seaman Apprentice
My " fishing pontoon is only 12' long and 6' 10" wide, has plce for 4 seats, drafts about 3" with 2 people on board and has a built in trailer:) 4 hp pushes it 10 mph and a 45 lb trolling motor on the bow moves it around with ease, check out the post " Ahoy! " there is a photo

Wheels388

Recruit
im looking for some advise, im looking at buying a 2008 24' crestliner poonton boat with 90hp mercury 4 stroke hope its a good match boat and motor? the question is there no trailer included, what size and what type should i buy, duel axels, scissor trailer, to bring it back home i need to drive 600 to 700 miles. I have a 2011 F150 ecobost.

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
Wheels388, you have a couple of good questions, both of which merit their own topic. Rather than having your questions/replies buried here under a different topic, maybe start a new one?