Install of Raw Water Washdown

Rdpatterson21

Recruit
Hey Guys I want to add a raw water Washdown to our Premier 22 Sunspree. Tired of using s bucket to get off sand and fish blood fron the deck. Any recommendations? Best place to run the intake? Has anyone done this?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer
I have pump attached to the rear of my right tune with a hose running under the deck and coming up through a hole in the deck just in front of the console. I made a bait well out of a 100 quart ice chest and i have the water running to it to keep it fresh. You could do something similar but I would recommend a hefty pump so you would have enough water pressure.

ahicks

Captain
For a pressure system pulling water from the back of the 'toon, I would keep the pump as close to the source as possible. They're much better at pushing water than the are sucking. Also, if the boat is going to be in salt water, you may want to store some fresh water to use for cleaning/rinse down purposes.

Rdpatterson21

Recruit
Thanks for the feedback. We have fresh water at our slip but along the day we get mud from the anchor or sand from the sand bar on the deck. Guess the question I still need an answer for is where to mount the intake. Noted that the pump should go close to intake as possible. Fiber glass boats appear to use a thru hull system but I don't have that ability.

ahicks

Captain
Look at the back of a 'toon set up for fishing. They'll generally have circulating water through a tank or 2 on deck (live well/bait), use a bracket on the back of one of the pontoons to simply hold a hose stuck in the water, held below the surface. Pretty simple once you figure out what you're looking at. The pressure type pump can use something very similar, but it's going to need a filter to make sure it doesn't suck up a piece of crud located somewhere between the source and the pump. That will cause it to stop working until you to clean it, likely about the time it's least convenient.

Check out RV sources for a pump and filter. They use the same setup, the difference being they pull water from a tank.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer
I was looking at the picture of your boat. If your transom is the kind that has a water passage to where some water is in the area just in front of the motor you could put the pump in that area. I have mine mounted on my transom next to my stern drive (I/O) when the boat is in the water the pump is fully submerged (pump is totally sealed except for the inlet & outlet) and my water hose is run up and over the transom under my deck and comes up just in front of my console. Sorry I don't have a picture.

Use a diaphragm pump that can be easily serviced. The pick-up you can mount anywhere ( or don't mount it and you can take it in and out of the water. The outlet can be fitted to a hose nozzle or any other applicator you can think of. A simple 12v wiring harness w/ inline fuse rated to the pump either hard wired to "hot" lead, or gator clips to a house battery.