new helm kit

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Not sure if its even worth posting over, but my old steering cable is tost, last season it got harder and harder to turn and the motor is free and i cleaned the tube and it didnt help so its time to replace, Had a real nice day with 65 plus temps and pulled out the old steering cable and found the length and got a new set up on order and it will be in in a few days.

alldodge

Staff member
The good thing is you won't have any more trouble

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
well my launch date is march 15 for the season thats when it goes on the slip for the year and i do maintenance now so during the season i can enjoy it and this year its the helm and a new bimni boot, so its about 43 days lol the motor is serviced and all i need yet is the trailer hubs and a good cleaning, charge the battery then drag it to the lake

Last edited:

wrench 3

Commander
It must be nice to have that long of a boating season. I'm usually aiming for the May 24th weekend. Hopefully start repairs in the middle of April. I've got wood work on the schedule this year, anchor locker locker floor, main hatch and some backing for upholstery.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
News is news, MH. :D

Did you go with a complete replacement or just order the the new cable?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
I am going with a full replacement. I only have a 15 hp motor so a rotary style will work fine am guessing the old one is of a 1987 vintage. I dont want it to crap out mid season.The brown truck showed up and dropped off the new one around noon so i went ahead and started in on it due to some nice 60 degree weather for the next few days.

The install did not go all that well. The new gear box is 2 plus inches taller so i had to break out the saws all and drill and drop the mounting bezel plate and the black plastic cover just barley covered the old holes. Who ever came up with the pin lock on the cable must be smoking some thing real good. it looks like thats going to be a huge PIA to center up the steering wheel at the lake.

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
No Title

As you can see in the pic its a 3 spoke wheel with a spinner knob at the bottom

Attachments

• photo150425.jpg
    photo150425.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Have to put it on hold for a few days the weather shifted back to 30 to 40 degree days

GA_Boater

If you were still waiting for the Brown Truck, the weather would be good. :blue:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i sort of am on the trip home last year my bimni boot shredded and the new one is on the truck and thats all of what i am going to need for the next season.

wrench it is sort of nice i do have a 8 mouth season, i get a start off with cold mornings warm days and the lake to my self, then a hot summer full of boaters and kids, then it goes back to a quiet lake.

Last edited:

wrench 3

Commander
Looks out the window at the snow and the 6 degree temps today

You're still looking better than us. We woke up to 18 below yesterday morning and it made it all the way up to 7 below by the afternoon. It was 2 below at lunch time today, nice and sunny though.

GA_Boater

Looks out the window at the snow and the 6 degree temps today

A real boater would be out there putting in the steering, Spring is coming fast. :rolleyes:

Me - I'm in front of the fireplace. :D

Hope it warms up to some civilized temps, MH.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
A real boater would be out there putting in the steering, Spring is coming fast. :rolleyes:

Me - I'm in front of the fireplace. :D

Hope it warms up to some civilized temps, MH.

snickers, well i spent a lot of years out in the cold here putting in power lines and sub stations and when i retired i made up what i call the 50 degree rule. if it aint at least 50 i aint going out side, so far its worked real good :laugh:, o and i still have 30 days till launch day

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
It finely got up to a very nice 65 to 70 today and i got it finished as close as i can till i splash it, and i also replaced my fuel filter, now all i need is a good cleaning so its 24 days and counting down