Tips Needed to Reverse into Slip (I Can?t See My Motor!)

fhhuber

Lieutenant
I would think of something off in left field...

Backup camera.
After installing one on my pickup and finding how useful it is, I'd put one on a boat with limited visibility when backing in a heartbeat. Choice of placement could give you a view of the top of the outboard as well as where you are going.

wrench 3

Commander
I would think of something off in left field...

Backup camera.
After installing one on my pickup and finding how useful it is, I'd put one on a boat with limited visibility when backing in a heartbeat. Choice of placement could give you a view of the top of the outboard as well as where you are going.

I've been wondering if one would work on the keel to watch for submerged objects. After all, they stand up to the water and salt on the back of a vehicle.:D

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer
……even more good tips!

Wow…...a rudder indicator… whoda thunk it?? I like that idea. I think I can find a place in the back for that.

We back into our slips so that the headwinds and waves hit the boat properly during storms and windy days. I once had a v-hull that sunk at the slip because I didn'’t back it in and a storm came along…...UHH…!!

I also worry about how incredibly easy it would be for thieves to board the boat if I pulled in bow first……since I have a bow platform, It just makes it too inviting for my my tastes (see photo).

I have to say that when I could see the old engine, I was quite the smooth pro at backing it in, I think the rudder indicator is the way to go here. Thanks again all!

Attachments

• Bow-platform.jpg
    Bow-platform.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
Why are you backing in? I always go in, then when I back I always have help .What ever you do, have your bumpers out and do it slowly.