Tips Needed to Reverse into Slip (I Can?t See My Motor!)

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer
So for those of you who have a slip, how do you back into it if you can?t see your motor? My work-around is to open the back deck which affords me a view of the motor. I can back in pretty good but I need to see which way the motor is turned to do it. It?s kinda embarrassing to have to open the deck just to steer. Any suggestions?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Practice, Practice, Practice

those of us with an I/O have no problem because we never could see where the outdrive is, and we simply had to learn and practice.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Back her in close enough to jump off and tie her up. You gotta pull the boat some during the tie-up anyway.

If you exit the boat smartly without falling in the drink, the onlookers will think you know what your doing. I would. ;)

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
To answer your question - by having a good feel for how the boat handles

There are plenty of variables - size of boat, wind, current, size of slip, etc, etc. I usually make sure a bow line is ready to get connected to the dock to help keep the bow from swinging too far from the dock once you get close. Hopefully you can practice under more favorable conditions, so you're better at it when they aren't so good. You could also practice boat handling in open water. I've never done it, but I suppose you could set up markers, in an appropriate place, to set out the size of your slip and practice with them.

alldodge

Staff member
Practice, Practice, Practice.

+1 Agree, just takes lots of practice. Your biggest issue is going to be your single prop motor. When you start backing it will want to walk to starboard. The trick is slow and don't leave it in gear, in out, in out. I just watch the stern while keeping a note of how the bow is moving. Need to keep a mental note of what the bow is doing, does no good to have the stern lined up with the slip if the bow is off angle,

Also tell everyone to keep their arms in. I can repair gelcoat, not so good with arms and such.

ahicks

Captain
Practice, and plenty of prayer if there's a stiff cross wind....

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
First, try to start far enough out to see how its tracking before you get in close. Second, once you learn how the prop causes the boat to move sideways, allow for that by starting to the side and let the prop pull you into the correct position at the end. Last, plan for the wind or current. If you know the wind is going to blow your boat starboard, start out port of where you want to end up. These last two tips will allow the boat to track in to the slip while remaining parallel to it. Any other method will cause you to either miss the slip or arrive with the boat cocked at an angle. Lastly, if I have enough room I will start 80' out, establish the track and speed that will allow me to coast into the slip and then put it in neutral. My goal is to use the engine as little as possible when I'm near the slip.

wrench 3

Commander
My first two I/Os had rudder position indicators built into the helms. I got kind of used to it, so since then I've been adding a gauge. Sierra Marine has the sender unit but I've never found a dedicated gauge. I've been using a fuel gauge and repainting the face. It's a little interesting refitting the trim ring but not impossible.
However, with a single screw it's always a challenge to back into a confined space.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
BatDaddy,
I had another thought. If your boat/motor resemble this one where the engine is aft of the back deck:
24ft-Aqua-Patio.jpg

Perhaps you could attach a shaft and flag like they put on kids bikes to the back of the engine cover. That would give you something to see and reference when you're turning the steering wheel.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer
All good tips?..thanks gents. I guess I will need to practice more. It is a very confined space, there is even a barge in the way, but I like the slip very much anyway, so, I think the tacking tips will work nicely. It would be nice to have a gauge somewhere in the back of the boat as I?m looking aft-ward, but I can?t think of anyplace to put one.

I recently re-powered from a very tall, Mercury Tower of Power inline 6, which was easily seen over the rear deck, but my Johnson V4 has a very low profile and I can?t see it.

I also like the small flag idea, I will consider all these tips when practicing. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20150711_122850a.jpg
    20150711_122850a.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
  • Jim's-slip.jpg
    Jim's-slip.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 0

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
All I can say is practice.

It's no harder or no easier than backing a trailer into a parking space. Don't know about you, but I don't have a "rudder" indicator and I don't get out to check where my tires are pointing when backing up a trailer. All you need to know is, turn the wheel to the left, the stern moves to the right and vice versa.

The biggest issue I see is people trying to "drift" into a slip. On a windless, motionless lake you have a chance, but it's certainly not going to happen when wind and tide join forces.

I always power into the slip then use reverse thrust to reverse direction or slow the boat to a stop. Eliminates most of the bow wonder people complain about. After a while you don't even think about doing it.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
-Ok to me i plain dont understand why you need to back in in the first place, a toon is a lot easier to load and un load with the front in, not to mention park.

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am out here on the left coast, Whiskey town lake. old jim

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the info, but another thing that makes CA either weird or unique, all depends on point of view :noidea:

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think it has something to do with boats on both sides of the dock

ahicks

Captain
That would be my thought as well, along with marina staff being tired of hearing about damage from rookie captains? Regarding backing, it's one thing if you're well seasoned and used to your boat, especially if you have twin engines. Otherwise, and it can be a crap shoot depending on skill and conditions. If things get dicey, there would be no shame here in pulling in forward. Betting your dock mates would appreciate it as well....