Pontoon Damaged By Fallen Marina Roof

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Replacement value is to replace an item at it's present worth. If it is a 15 year old boat, you will get the value that a 15 year old boat is worth. It's not going to buy a new boat.

Rickochet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Replacement value is to replace an item at it's present worth. If it is a 15 year old boat, you will get the value that a 15 year old boat is worth. It's not going to buy a new boat.
I don't expect a new boat. All I want is to get the boat back to the condition it was in before the damage. A claim has been filed with my insurance company. Perhaps the term "replacement" value was not accurate. I was going by the value shown on my policy. I should know withing a couple of days. My biggest concern is getting the fencing fixed or replaced. The top railing of the port rear section was bent downwards and inward. It is not just a square tube. It is some type of extrusion. I talked to Mysty Harbor and they no longer use this extrusion and cannot fabricate a replacement part. Any clue how I might be able to attempt to straighten this?

Attachments

• photo237399.jpg
    photo237399.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo237400.jpg
    photo237400.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo237401.jpg
    photo237401.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I was pretty much referring to jimbo_jwc's post since he was comparing it to "nothing prorated".

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
I would think it's the marina's problem to fix your pontoon boat, after all you paid them to protect your boat. Have you contacted any one before making a claim? We keep our boat at a marina high and drive on the trailer with no tree's around it.

cc350

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would think it's the marina's problem to fix your pontoon boat, after all you paid them to protect your boat. Have you contacted any one before making a claim? We keep our boat at a marina high and drive on the trailer with no tree's around it.
You lease a space, not protection. You carry Insurance as part of your lease.

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you'd read his posts, the owner already stated that there was a hold blameless clause in his slip rental contract for acts of nature.

Hope it works out well when you get the numbers back from the insurance company

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't expect a new boat. All I want is to get the boat back to the condition it was in before the damage. A claim has been filed with my insurance company. Perhaps the term "replacement" value was not accurate. I was going by the value shown on my policy. I should know withing a couple of days. My biggest concern is getting the fencing fixed or replaced. The top railing of the port rear section was bent downwards and inward. It is not just a square tube. It is some type of extrusion. I talked to Mysty Harbor and they no longer use this extrusion and cannot fabricate a replacement part. Any clue how I might be able to attempt to straighten this?

I think the term you mean is Agreed Value.

leftyfrazel

Cadet
Same thing happened to my Monark, boat was in near new condition, boat slips collapsed, from looking boat cover still on boat still afloat looked great until they removed debris and fallen boat house, front gate torn off, bent railing up front, console crushed, floor damage there, and that's it, but it was enough for them to total the boat... the hard part is deciding if I can get a console to replace it. they no longer make this boat but I hate to salvage her. and I don't want another large ticket payment floating around.

Rickochet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Same thing happened to my Monark, boat was in near new condition, boat slips collapsed, from looking boat cover still on boat still afloat looked great until they removed debris and fallen boat house, front gate torn off, bent railing up front, console crushed, floor damage there, and that's it, but it was enough for them to total the boat... the hard part is deciding if I can get a console to replace it. they no longer make this boat but I hate to salvage her. and I don't want another large ticket payment floating around.
Sorry to hear about your boat. I am waiting to hear back from the insurance company. They have acknowledged that they have excepted my documentation and have said that the repair amount exceeds the value of the "hull." My motor and trailer were undamaged. The motor and trailer were listed on the policy with separate values. The motor is worth more than the boat.

So what kind of options if any can I expect from the insurance company? Will they offer to let me keep the damaged boat and give the the valued amount for repairs, take the boat, or shoot me an offer for the entire package or what?

sidetrack60

Recruit
I have a 2000 Misty Harbor that I bought new and have kept it in like new condition. Two weeks ago my marina got 15" of snow and ice and the roof crashed down on top of all of the boats. It is still floating and I can see the motor and tubes sticking out. It may be weeks before they get the roof off so I can get my boat out. In the least the bimini is crushed. My big concern is the fencing. The manufacturer no longer makes this style of fencing. So if the front fence is damaged it would necessitate replacing the entire fence with a generic replacement to make it look ok. The same with the furniture. If one piece of furniture all would have to be replaced for it to match. It could be that the damage may get the boat totaled out by the insurance company if the repair costs are too high. A big concern is that most of the lakes had a similar snow with many downed roofs with literally hundreds of damaged boats. Getting a boat fixed in the spring is always tough now adding hundreds of broken boats is going to complicate things. And I am not sure if the boat dealers want to take on this kind of repair. I could probably do the repair myself but I am an old geezer with arthritis in my hands and I would prefer to not do the repair work. I guess another option might be for the insurance co. to total out the boat and let me keep the motor and trailer. The motor is a 2006 Merc EFI 4 stroke bigfoot.

If anyone has been in this situation and can make some suggestions that would be appreciated.

There is a place in Springfield Ohio called Fire & Marine Inc. They can make anything for pontoon boats. They made some fence extensions for me so I could have more room for a bench seat with a layback lounge. Everything matched up to the original fence perfectly. There phone # is 937-323- 2770. Just a suggestion! I would imagine they could match your fencing with the correct measurements. Give them a call or check out there web site.

Rickochet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is a place in Springfield Ohio called Fire & Marine Inc. They can make anything for pontoon boats. They made some fence extensions for me so I could have more room for a bench seat with a layback lounge. Everything matched up to the original fence perfectly. There phone # is 937-323- 2770. Just a suggestion! I would imagine they could match your fencing with the correct measurements. Give them a call or check out there web site.
Thanks, will have a look.