10 hp to 15 hp on my toon.

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was talking to a boat mech last weekend. He mentioned the only difference between a 10 and 15 hp is a bigger carb. Is that true? If that's the case I may make that mod on my toon kicker. The lake near me is restricted to 10 but they'll never know it's really 15.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
As far as I can tell, This is a motor question. :rolleyes:

You should ask in the proper motor forum.

And think about the reason for the power limit on the lake.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Would depend on which motor you have. As GA indicated, it's a motor question

ahicks

Captain
I was talking to a boat mech last weekend. He mentioned the only difference between a 10 and 15 hp is a bigger carb. Is that true? If that's the case I may make that mod on my toon kicker. The lake near me is restricted to 10 but they'll never know it's really 15.

If that's the case (carb is the only difference), I'd stay with the smaller carb. Even if there was an actual 5hp difference between the 2 engines (not likely), how much extra speed/power do you think you might see when it's mounted on a pontoon? If it will go 5mph now, maybe the 15 will have you screaming along at 6 or 7mph? Unless racing other 10hp pontoons, I'd put the money it will take to convert someplace more useful. That's me though...

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
As far as I can tell, This is a motor question. :rolleyes:

You should ask in the proper motor forum.

And think about the reason for the power limit on the lake.

19999 posts!!!! :lol::D

Anyways, ive got a 9.9hp johnson, 1987 was thinking of doing that but I spent the money on a good stainless prop.....probally got me the same amount of speed a bigger carb would, if not a little more. I also have a pond near me that only allows 10hp, (Dudley Pond, MA) I know a buddy who has a boat with a 20hp with a 9.9 sticker on it. or just get two 9.9hps! joking.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
I did that mod 2 years ago and it didn't add much speed about 2 mph but it did help a lot when i have several people on board and it did up my fuel mileage, and before you make a choice you have to do a look into the part numbers and compare them

Last edited: