Pontoon or not to Pontoon

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If the wind is your problem ,then you must be getting swells
If you have ever been to Lake Tahoe, then you know there can be pretty good size waves. I wouldn't want to be out on that lake in an 18' bowrider either when the wind comes up.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
What about a deck boat interior set-up like a pontoon with a hull that can handle the rough water. Kinda the best of both worlds

ahicks

Captain
That's what I was talking about above. If you aren't too focused on having alum. pontoons under you, larger deck boats can be a really good option when it comes to bigger water (thinking something like a 22'). Much heavier, potentially just as much room, a LOT more power, and they can get up on top of "chop" pretty easily.

I get the pontoon thing. I've had several over the last 40 years or so, and enjoy them immensely. You do have to realize though, there are limits to that design, and big water is a good place to start when listing them....

Last edited:

lakejumper

Recruit
I have boated on Lake Tahoe a lot. I have had deep-V, deckboats and a 24' tritoon pontoon (my last boat). I never took the pontoon on the lake. It can be done but I would feel much more comfortable in the runabout due to how choppy it gets and because of the cold wind and spray. The lake water is icy cold. It is nice to have the protection of a windshield and hull from the wind and water. The pontoon can handle it if the tubes are large and I would want a tritoon because the bow rides higher. You will wish you had a large motor for speed because the lake is so large and so you can outrun the afternoon thunderstorms if needed! Just my .02 cents.

Our family doesn?t go on outings a lot but I have a friend who does. They have a pontoon boat and they use it, apparently, every time they go to another lake or river. Oh, and their house is near a lake so they use their pontoon boat quite a lot. I?ve seen the boat but I haven?t really tried riding it since I?m quite scared. But her dad mentioned that it?s totally safe and the pontoon he used is the best quality. They also have a pontoon dock. Okay, so when her dad tells the story of how he made it, he always mentions http://www.wardlemarineservices.co.uk/pontoon.html . Apparently, that?s where he got the pontoons. As you can see, they?re quite fond of pontoons.

suneshop

Seaman
If you get a performance tritoon.Big tubes lifting strakes underskined preferably a larger center tube. A big motor, 250 hp is not out of the question. You can handle almost anything.We are at the western end of Lake Erie,Maumee river and a trip to Put In Bay 37 miles is not a problem. Been out in 4 footers close frequency and never buried the bow.You do need to to work the throttle but that is the fun of it. I am as comfortable on the 24' tritoon as on my 30"Searay.