Gas line

Buoybill

Cadet
Thinking about moving the gas tank to the front of the boat. Trying to balance the load better. Thinking about running a 30 ft 3/8 copper line from the tank to a 75 hp mercury. Is it feasible and 3/8 large enough

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Moved my tank in 2013 while re-decking. Didn't move it all the way to the "front". Put it in front of the helm a little forward of mid ship. 28 gal tank. Gas weighs about 6 lbs/gal so it made some difference in trim but nothing big. My reason for the move was not trim but to open a rear access. I bought a 25' spool of 3/8" gas line on ebay for $22. Has worked well for 3 years.

Buoybill

Cadet
Barbs can be changed. All batteries are also going to be moved with hefty cables. So this will help leveling out the boat. Going to order that 3/8 cable. Thanks for the input. Bill

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I see no issue with copper line or even stainless steel gas line. You may have some priming issues initially when you prime the fuel bulb. But other then that, it should work for years to come. I would personally rather have good solid copper or stainless steel fuel line runs, then mere 3/8" rubber fuel line. But that is just me. However, I would also grommet every place that fuel line goes through anything, be it metal or wood to protect it from rubbing. JMHO!

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
Copper fuel line is not recommended on boats. It is subject to cracking at the fittings due mainly to vibration. You never want to put copper in contact with aluminum. It forms a electrolytic cell that eats a hole right through aluminum. Copper alloys such as copper nickel or nickel copper are ok because they are far less subject to cracking and are not reactive to aluminum and other metals. However they are damned expensive. It is far better to use standard USCG type 1A-15 marine fuel hose. You csn buy it from any marine supply store or parts supplier. Make sure it is supported approximate every 18 inches with supports that won't cut into it. Use stainless (316L) clamps on the barbed fittings. For your boat 3/8 is probably good.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Tank is probably higher than the motor; once primed it would almost flow naturally.

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not on my pontoon, but on my 19' center console I moved my tank from the stern to the bow, used 25' length marine grade hose. Concerned about the long run I decided to placed one squeeze bulb about 3' from the tank and another one in front of the motor. I prime the line using the bulb near the tank then squeeze the motor bulb a couple of times. Works great.

Last edited: