New deck on old boat

IslandManMitch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1988 20' bass buggy pontoon. We use it in the lower river and bay for fishing, cast netting, running crab traps and leisure boating. It is all open deck except for a stand up center console set all the way to the rear. I've replaced the cable steering with hydraulic steering and using Morse binnacle controls. I have folding deck chairs that stack out of the way until needed for seating. I also have an aluminum truck type of tool box for dry storage. I replaced the deck when I first bought it maybe 15 years ago with pressure treated plywood. The replacement wood did not rot but separated between layers over the years and was getting spongy. I searched and read about different options on Iboats and other forums. I wanted whatever I used to be durable enough to last me the rest of my life. The option of a good quality marine plywood would have worked except I could not buy it local and the shipping was more than the cost of the plywood. A friend was telling me his neighbor put 3/16" aluminum sheets on his 20' pontoon and has run it for 3 years in the bay without any problems. I bought 4 sheets of 4'x10'x3/16" scratched up aluminum for $75 per sheet. I cut the length down to 8' and used 1/4" stainless carriage bolts 12" on center to secure it to the frame. I still have to bolt down the console and when I put the railings back on I am going to block them up 3/4" for easier clean-up. I feel I have it the way I want but I'm not sure about the deck being slippery and what to cover it with. Carpet does not meet my durability requirement. I'm thinking about maybe sharkskin paint? Any suggestions?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I helped a friend put diamond plate aluminum on his 25' pontoon boat, it worked out great, we did a couple other boats too. Look for a line of products that will bond to alumnum, they may have a primer that's required, use it.

Another friend put plain sheet aluminum down in his boat thinking he would put a nonskid surface on it. Its been two years and he hasn't put anything on it yet, it just isn't slippery.

IslandManMitch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If I could get away with nothing I'd really like that. If I used bed liner I would not want it to be to heavily textured.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Consider what follows as brainstorming rather than a well thought out suggestion. If you don't expect to have any bare feet to worry about, perhaps you could run a belt sander with heavy grit paper across it in two directions. I wouldn't expect it to take long just to score the surface enough to get better traction in the wet.

Last edited:

IslandManMitch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I wet the deck down today to see how slipper it is as is. With soft sole shoes it was not slippery at all. Of course sitting on the trailer in my yard is not the same as pitching around in the bay trying to throw a cast net off the bow. I may try the belt sander and if nothing else it would be a first prep step for shark skin or bedliner or maybe some other idea someone has yet to suggest.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Coarse Scotchbrite pads on a floor or orbital sander would put a good surface on that material too.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
I used ever coat skid no more on my aluminum deck and have been very pleased with it . It's a rubberized paint. The only thing I would change is I should have tinted it a more stable Color

dpoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would think that some kind of covering would be needed because I imagine that bare aluminum would reflect a lot of sun glare.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I would think that some kind of covering would be needed because I imagine that bare aluminum would reflect a lot of sun glare.

Some do have a high goss finish when new, but this goes away quickly with use, or you can scrub the surface with mild abrasive to speed the process.

IslandManMitch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Some do have a high goss finish when new, but this goes away quickly with use, or you can scrub the surface with mild abrasive to speed the process.
I used a mild acid wash before putting it down and it now has a dull gray finish. I used the gray sticky sealer tape that roofers use on metal roof seams between the sheets and cross members thinking it will help keep it from rattling. I drilled a hole in 3/4" thick by 1 1/4" wide aluminum blocks to raise the railing and used some of the tape on them too. I am pleased with the neat and clean look. I still have to install my console and hook everything up.

IslandManMitch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I used ever coat skid no more on my aluminum deck and have been very pleased with it . It's a rubberized paint. The only thing I would change is I should have tinted it a more stable Color
Skid no more looks promising. How long has it been on your boat and what did you do to prep the aluminum? Has it flaked or peeled up any? If so was it easy to touch up?

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Skid no more looks promising. How long has it been on your boat and what did you do to prep the aluminum? Has it flaked or peeled up any? If so was it easy to touch up?
I have had it on there for a couple years has heald up well . I used a stainless stellar wire brush on a grinder to scuff the aluminum. The nice thing is if you have a problem in a area like high traffic area you can just reapply to that area.

IslandManMitch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have had it on there for a couple years has heald up well . I used a stainless stellar wire brush on a grinder to scuff the aluminum. The nice thing is if you have a problem in a area like high traffic area you can just reapply to that area.

If scuffing up the deck is not satisfactory I may very well try it.