Pontoon deflector fix

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is it possible or recommended to fix a broken weld with a few pop rivets for the rest of the season until I can get welded? Thoughts

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Kind of depends on what you are fixing, what part of the boat? Post up a picture and we can better help you.

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry no access to pictures. The water deflector on the front of one of my toons . the welds broke on the deflector and it started floping around so I want to temp fix it. But I don't want to hurt anything. Was thing pop rivets

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I assume you are talking about the fin shaped piece as seen on the front of this log.
$T2eC16Z,!y8E9s2flCg(BRW9e883dw~~60_35.JPG

If that is the case, I'd be concerned about using rivets for two reasons. First, I doubt they would be strong enough. Second, and more importantly, I don't think the rivet holes could be made water tight. I'd be very concerned about creating a leak in the log. .... I suppose you could give it a try and cover all the rivets with epoxy. But if it did fail, all those rivet holes would be exposed to the rush of oncoming water. I wouldn't be willing to take the risk.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If there is no holes in the tube, just broken welds, take it off the rest of the way for now. At least it'll not fall off and get lost. The season is wearing down around here and what's it going to hurt for a month or so. Why drill holes if ya don't have to.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'd do like Grub said, and if there is a hole anywhere now I'd JB weld it shut. The Cracks on my old Tracker were JB welded for a year before they got fixed.

Last edited:

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you talking about the lifting strakes?? If the weld is broken and the pontoon is cracked you are taking on water. If your pontoons are compartmented there isn't a way to the that water out. Pop rivets will only make a hole where there wasn't one, more water in. JB Weld is glue, won't hold any pressure. Get the part welded, won't take that much time and will fix it right the first time. Any 'mickey-mousing' you do now will only cause problems down the line

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for all the advise. Lucky there are no tears or holes in the toons. I'm gonna ride out the season with out a deflector and weld it up over the winter