Anyone have this type of helm?

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I am tryng to access behind the helm and and am not succesful. I got all the screws out and pulled it a little bit towards the seat.The very top is not moving at all. I tried lifting on it and minor prying on it to no avail. I certainly don't want to pry too hard and damage the fiberglass. If anyone has this type and knows how to remove it please let me know.
DSCF0005_zps5fsjuifq.jpg

DSCF0004_zpsim5hgbpm.jpg

DSCF0002_zpsrns7jgo2.jpg

DSCF0001_zpshkix8r5i.jpg

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Is there enough room at the opening to slide a camera in there to photograph the inside?

2nd thought: My wild guess is that there is a lip at the top for the face piece to slide over or under. Do you sense that the steering mechanism is restricting movement of the face piece?

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are there any access hatches or panels on the front? It's possible the steering cable is the hang up.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you think about this, you will realize that the reason the top isn't moving back is because the steering cable is keeping it in place. You can't pull the top back because the steering cable that goes to the engine is securely mounted and therefore it is holding the top of the helm from moving. Maybe if you removed the steering wheel to see if you can loosen the hardware to the steering sector from the fiberglass helm, it would allow you access. :noidea:

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
I would guess that there are some snaps going around the top. try to un snap the edges by prying along the top .Maybe run a knife ,something long an smooth,around the edges until something stops you then see if that is a snap.Then lift from the bottom carefully.

Last edited:

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Tommy... not enough room to get a camera in there. I used a flashlight and couldn't see much.
GA...no other openings at all.
GM...the steering wheel does move a little when I lifted it up and back a little. But that could be the problem. I will try your suggestion.
Silver.... I ran a putty knife until it stopped and tried prying at that point. All it dis was bend the fiberglass a little.

If all else fails I guess I could cut an opening in the front panel, frame it out and hinge it for future use.
One way or the other I WILL Git er done! :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
DRS4164, there are always ways. But I figured you would want to use the helm again... I mean cut the entire things off...or TNT... :facepalm:

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
When I have a problem That I can't figure out I google a question on how too. There's usually something on You Tube. Give it a try. They will need the model or type of boat and brand name. Good Luck.

ahicks

Captain
The 2 screws holding that black brkt. (impossible to tell what that is in the pic) on the top left of your console - have you tried removing those? If they were long enough, seems like they would go right into that flange.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hmmm..... isn't that illegal? :eek: :D

TNT works great for things like that and is only illegal if you get caught. :facepalm: I mean if fishing is really bad.... oh well never mind... :eek: :pound:

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Is that a glove box at the bottom? Maybe pull it out and get a better look inside. You also might get that courtesy lite out and get a look in there. Remember someone put it together and almost everything is designed to come back apart, especially when there are things inside that can fail or need service. Think about how it went together and go backwards from there.

I'm guessing the front was built as a sub-assembly somewhere off the main assembly line and the base was mounted to the boat deck, then the front assembly was dropped down on and/or swung down on something that locked it in and then the fasteners installed. I'd take every fastener out I could see then lift or maybe even pry UP and out on the front assembly.

The steering cable will make things tight in there but you should be able to move the helm station around a little, at least enough to see inside.I unbolted mine form the floor once and it would move about 4 inches in all directions.

You might also be able to take the wheel off and unbolt the helm from the front and free things up some more.

Last edited:

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
The 2 screws holding that black brkt. (impossible to tell what that is in the pic) on the top left of your console - have you tried removing those? If they were long enough, seems like they would go right into that flange.

There are 3 of those brackets. That is where the windshield attaches. Guess it is possible the screws are long enough to also hold the top of the helm together.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
TNT works great for things like that and is only illegal if you get caught. :facepalm: I mean if fishing is really bad.... oh well never mind... :eek: :pound:

I have heard the fishing can be extremely succesful using TNT. Where can I buy some? :laugh:

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Is that a glove box at the bottom? Maybe pull it out and get a better look inside. You also might get that courtesy lite out and get a look in there. Remember someone put it together and almost everything is designed to come back apart, especially when there are things inside that can fail or need service. Think about how it went together and go backwards from there.

I'm guessing the front was built as a sub-assembly somewhere off the main assembly line and the base was mounted to the boat deck, then the front assembly was dropped down on and/or swung down on something that locked it in and then the fasteners installed. I'd take every fastener out I could see then lift or maybe even pry UP and out on the front assembly.

The steering cable will make things tight in there but you should be able to move the helm station around a little, at least enough to see inside.I unbolted mine form the floor once and it would move about 4 inches in all directions.

You might also be able to take the wheel off and unbolt the helm from the front and free things up some more.

That is a glove box. Taking that out and taking off the steering wheel are on my list for today. As you said, they put it together some way so it HAS to come apart some way.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There are 3 of those brackets. That is where the windshield attaches. Guess it is possible the screws are long enough to also hold the top of the helm together.

I guarantee the screws are long enough to hold the top of the helm together. where they are located, the screws would have to be less than 3/16" long and they would only get 1 thread in the fiberglass.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Problem solved!!! Ahicks and Scott were both correct. Both brackets have 2 screws. Took them out and it came right apart. Tons of room to get at anything back there. Now I know why the volt meter and radio don't work. Both have a broken wire. I did take the steerig wheel of ffirst to see if that was the problem. At least I got to grease the shaft, if nothing else.
Thanks to all of you guys for the suggestions.