Picture of an outboard motor on a pontoon boat

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
As you know it's very hard to see if your motor is to high or to lower in the water.Does anyone have pictures of a motor in the water at the correct heighth ?Also Sometimes We have problems with the trim.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Pontoon outboards operate in very turbulent water so I suggest it be mounted full down. If yours is not, that may account for the trim issues. Tri-toons may be able to tolerate higher mounting.

ahicks

Captain
My first try is generally with the cavitation plate flush with the bottom of the engine mounting pod. If that doesn't work out, adjust as necessary.

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hopefully this may help.

outboard%20shaft%20length.gif

ahicks

Captain
Not sure what that may have to do with correct motor height?

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
If everyone sets on the front it would make a difference in depth of the motor in the water.

I believe what he is getting at is the adjustment of the depth of the motor depends on
how it sits in the water under normal load.

ahicks

Captain
Seems like "correct height" would be set to allow for a boat in motion. If it was set for just sitting in the water with a lot of people on it, as soon as the boat gets up a head of steam the prop is going to come out of the water. Or am I missing something?

Silver Eagle

Yes, you are missing something .You guy's are thinking ahead of your selfs..I just want to see where the water line is when the boat is sitting still.

ahicks

Captain
Sorry for the misunderstanding. On average, I'd say many/most waterlines are about halfway up on the back of the pontoon.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I hope this thread doesn't end before I figure out what its about.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Yes, you are missing something .You guy's are thinking ahead of your selfs..I just want to see where the water line is when the boat is sitting still.

That's pretty much irrelevant, the concern is where it is when running.

ahicks

Captain
Nice to see I'm not the only one trying to figure out the question...

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
As you know it's very hard to see if your motor is to high or to lower in the water.Does anyone have pictures of a motor in the water at the correct heighth ?Also Sometimes We have problems with the trim.

what? hopefully RK answered your question

Silver Eagle

I just want to see the water line on a out board motor sitting in the water, Not moving. What's so hard about that?. Is it too high ,or too low or what.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I just want to see the water line on a out board motor sitting in the water, Not moving. What's so hard about that?. Is it too high ,or too low or what.

It makes little difference, there isn't a too low or too high while sitting. Well I guess if the motor was completely under water or raised up out of the water it would make a difference, but other than that the position is determined while running.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
I have always lightly loaded my toon and raised the motor till I started having cavitation problems then dropped it one notch.