Choosing new motor

Onebighud

Recruit
I just bought a 24' 1990 sunchaser with a 90 hp Mariner that needs to be replaced (quoted $3500 for repair . My local choices for motor replacement I've narrowed down to a 2012 60hp mercury bigfoot with 100 hours for $4500, a 2013 90hp Etec with 300 hours for $5900 or a brand new Suzuki df50atl with 6 year warranty for $5900. I use the boat mostly for slow cruising as my kids are too young to tube or ski. What would you go with and why?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Kids grow up .... fast. Needs change. I'd go with the strongest engine you can afford and the boat can safely handle. 90 HP would be the minimum in my opinion.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I would go with the 90 hp as well you don't have to use all the hp but when you need or want it it's there

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
The maximum hp allowed for the toon as stated above kids grow up fast they will be wanting to tube,knee board,ski before you know it.

ahicks

Captain
Etec sounds good here. That should handle the kids pretty easily until they get into their teens. At that point you may want to go ski boat....

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can't go wrong with a Yamaha 115hp 4 stroke. That's what I'm repowering my Merc 115 2 stroke with.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The biggest motor you can afford. DFI or EFI preferable. We have a 115 Merc EFI on our 24' Starcraft. It now has about 600 hours. No issues whatsoever.

The 20 footer we replaced had a Merc. 75 EFI we sold with 1100 hours. No issues there either.

When choosing a motor, choose the dealer first. Do you trust them? Reputation?

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Biggest motor your transom can handle. Go with a small motor, you will be sorry later Enjoy!

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
Our 24 fter is rated to handle up to 135 hp. I have a two stroke 90 Merc. That's plenty of a motor for us.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
I agree with "go with largest size motor the boat is rated for" as well. If your Mariner is 2-stroke, recommend replacing with 2-stroke as well. those 4-stoke of same HP size are very heavy weight. If going with different engine maker, remember there's also control changes, wiring changes and/or gauge changes that need to be swapped out as well. It's always easiest to replace with same make/model of engine. re: Mariner 90 with Mariner 90 or Mercury 90.

If wondering, I recently replaced my boat's 1996 Force 120 with 1995 Johnson 115 OB. Both are 2-stroke. I did the engine swap myself with lots of "lessons learned". If into your own DIY skills, view my long post @ http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...e-120-with-1996-johnson-115-outboard-any-tips

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I will not say that Suzuki's are bad engines, they're not. However, Suzuki has never made the hard fought effort to establish a widespread, qualified, dealer network.

If your boat stays in one place and you like the dealer, long established with Suzuki, go for it.

Otherwise, Merc., Evin, or Yamaha.

By the way, most mid range OB's, by Merc., have Yamaha engines (power heads). Honda uses Merc. Lower units.

NONE of them are BAD, as stated previously, choose your dealer CAREFULLY.

It's a Global economy.

lil' beaver

Seaman Apprentice
I will not say that Suzuki's are bad engines, they're not. However, Suzuki has never made the hard fought effort to establish a widespread, qualified, dealer network.

If your boat stays in one place and you like the dealer, long established with Suzuki, go for it.

Otherwise, Merc., Evin, or Yamaha.

By the way, most mid range OB's, by Merc., have Yamaha engines (power heads). Honda uses Merc. Lower units.

NONE of them are BAD, as stated previously, choose your dealer CAREFULLY.

It's a Global economy.

Mercury does not use Yamaha powerheads anymore. Hasn't for awhile. Be careful with Suzuki, they make good motors but make sure you read their warranty carefully. It is not what it seems. Choose the motor that has the best local service, then get the biggest, lightest outboard you can afford and the transom can handle.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Looks like the OP hasn't been active for quite sometime. In fact, the day after he posted the ?. Anyway. for others info. I would go with an E-tec any day of the week. Power of a 2 stroke with the efficiency of a 4. As far as Suzuki powerheads, that's what my 2003 Johnson 4stroke uses. Zero complaints and nothing but praise. I agree going with bigger motors on the 'toons. How many times do you see a poor little O/B screaming trying to push these yachts...... :)