1999 Sundancer.... good price?

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Better go drive it before you buy it a 90 hp is pretty small for a tritoon .
there has been many on here that bought one and was disappointed after getting it on the water. If speed and performance is not a issue to you then you will be happy

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Better go drive it before you buy it a 90 hp is pretty small for a tritoon .
there has been many on here that bought one and was disappointed after getting it on the water. If speed and performance is not a issue to you then you will be happy

I was hoping I could get about 20-24 mph out of it if propped correctly. Sound about right?

ahicks

Captain
Many people selling boats this vintage are trying to push the expense of a re-upholstery job on to new owners. The vinyl, if original, is likely shot to the point it's coming apart in areas. Re doing it can get pretty expensive. You might want to look into it prior so your not surprised.

The 99 Johnsons, and those available a few years before and after, are (were) equipped with an oil injection system (known as VRO) that proved to be too much trouble for many, so they've been by by-passed/eliminated (a new pump is $460.). If I were looking at this boat, I would want to know the status of that system. If it has not had the mod done where you mix the oil and gas manually, it might be an unexpected expense later. Not too bad a job to do yourself if you're capable.

Last edited:

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ahicks is dead on with his upholstery comments. You could easily get several thousand dollars in this boat getting the seats in decent shape, they have that dull, gone or going look to them. It looks like the bow seats have already been replaced with not too expensive fishing seats. Check to see if the bases are wooden or plastic, you don't want older wood based seats.

I have two VRO engines with the oil injection bypassed and manually mixing oil. Having said that I would trust the system in place in 1999 and would not pull it off my boat if it were still working properly. The bugs in VRO were worked out long before 1999.

If you do ever have to replace one of those VRO pumps look for the pump for the 88SPL motor with the 3 nipples on it, one for the vacuum pulse hose, one for fuel in and one for fuel out.

The test drive is also a must, check those u shaped logs for leaks and cracks, they are not easily fixed if they leak.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I plan on looking at it on Saturday and go for a sea trial. I wil find out about the VRO and the condition of the vinyl at that point. Does anyone have an opinion of the price of $6000 for a 1999 tritoon assuming that the vinyl and VRO are good? It does have a 1999 single axle trailer. Not sure if it is galvanized or aluminum. Around here finding a half decent tritoon is not easy.

ahicks

Captain
Just me, but that price sounds pretty good, especially w/trailer. Upholstery, carpet, and floor condition would be the show stoppers here.

If it could be bought right, If you're handy, and If your budget would allow it, might make a good project boat if the floor plan works for you. Lots of if's....

Last edited:

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a 1994 Johnson 150 and a 1996 Johnson 175 and they are good motors. Later on, Evinrude and Johnson went to a new model called "Fitch" which had many problems. I'm not sure what year they changed but it was likely around 2000. I would check to see if it's a Fitch. If it's the same vintage as my mid 90's then the motor has potential if it's been kept up. If it's a Fitch then it's a gamble. My understanding is the Fitch motor is what broke OMC but I've never owned one. I've just done a lot of research before buying my 150 a few years ago.

I got scared of the VRO on mine and bypassed them as mentioned. I just mix the gas and oil - no big deal. The Evinrude / Johnson forum on this site is very helpful.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I've got a 1994 Johnson 150 and a 1996 Johnson 175 and they are good motors. Later on, Evinrude and Johnson went to a new model called "Fitch" which had many problems. I'm not sure what year they changed but it was likely around 2000. I would check to see if it's a Fitch. If it's the same vintage as my mid 90's then the motor has potential if it's been kept up. If it's a Fitch then it's a gamble. My understanding is the Fitch motor is what broke OMC but I've never owned one. I've just done a lot of research before buying my 150 a few years ago.

I got scared of the VRO on mine and bypassed them as mentioned. I just mix the gas and oil - no big deal. The Evinrude / Johnson forum on this site is very helpful.

Good point. I read that only Evinrude made the Ficht, but will do more research.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
That boat i pricey for what you get. Minimum seating...plan to replace the deck and carpet just due to the age. Pontoons appear to be those squared at the end ones.....not sure the advantage or disadvantage, but they are not too common. Also what are you goal for the boat, relaxing? fishing, pulling tubes? This boat appears to be setup for fishing...leaving limited space for lounging
There is allot to check on a boat like this that you can't see in the pictures.
Oil injection working?
Batteries, 1 or 2 and a switch?
Controls in good shape
Steering cable
Radio/speakers
Electrical, lights
Floor have soft spots
Trailer condition, titles?
Fuel lines switched over to ethanol resistant
Fuel / water separator?
Pontoon pressure test
Lower unit condition? Plan on replacing the impeller at a minimum
Prop condition
Is there a full mooring cover
Bimini condition?

Any of these will with issues will add up quick.

Good luck