Pontoon transom crack 1999 Triton 191

Lantanabin

Recruit
Hi guys I have a cracked aluminum transom, just wondering what a welder might charge me for this repair? Here is link to YouTube. could a novice welder perform this repair with aluminum gun?

Thanks

Randy

Mi duckdown

Commander
Yes someone has repaired it before. No. a novice can not repair this. Take it to a reputable alum welder , that knows what he doing. alum guns suck. grind off everything and tig. weld. that repair was done with alum gun in my thinking. they may have scab on plates and tig weld on

Last edited:

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I had a similar crack (one side only) on the engine pod that came with my 25 year old boat. I took it to a pro welder and he fixed it for about $100. It lasted for the year i used that pod. The next year I upgraded to a larger engine and obtained a stouter used engine pod for about $300. That is another option for you. ... I live in an area with a large lake and lots of boaters (and old boats). I asked around until someone directed me to the guy who had been collecting old boat parts for the last 30 years. He had five old engine pods.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Come back in about ten months and I'll say, you're welcome. ;)