Duras 10ft, a good RIB

Durango318

Seaman
I've had several months to surmise my thoughts about my new " Duras 10' RIB with floor (model DXR 109.14). I love it!
The engine used is a two stroke Evinrude 9.9 with a 15 hp carb, great compression and new reeds. The prop is a Solas 9.25 X 11 and the trim was at the second hole. The boat does not porpoise with this prop at any speed. The top speed with legal gear, half tank fuel (3 gal) and 230lb captain is just a tad over 26 mph two way measured gps. With two identical chunks of meat the speed drops to 23 mph but both must shift weight forward to get on plane. A different prop would be better for a more laden boat. Handling is precise not twitchy. It's good idea to sung up the tiller friction thou.
Anything above plane the occupants should be sitting on a throw-able cushion on the floor. On calmer water, if need, turning can be very tight and best have the engine clamped down tight and feet and butt locked between the tubes or you will be pitched overboard. The boat handles wind, chop and wakes much better than expected and it's very comfortable/confident to use at full speed. I am thinking of purchasing the new Suzuki 15 hp 4 stroke efi since I'm burning so much fuel at full throttle with that 2 stroke. The boat was purchased for $1200 in Sacramento CA. It's made in China.

This model has a one piece aluminum bottom and transom. The bottom has several strakes welded in for tracking and de-wetting the bottom on plane. There may be some rocker at the transom but it will only help. Most have unbelievable metal workmanship but it depends on the individual that made each one, so inspect stakes for straightness (eyeball). Most bottoms look like it came out of a fiber glass mold not weldment. The paint on the hull and floor seem to be powder coated. On the bow at the water line there is a welded on plate with a hole in it. This point is ideal for towing. The boat was stable under tow with the motor tilted out to 27 mph, as fast as my houseboat would go. Inside the bow there is another plate. It's perfect to attach a restraint for gear, fuel tank and a rope to hold on to when going onto plane.

It also has a nice step plate pattern floor. The floor is actually some kind of .093" thick stainless steel. I found this out when I temporarily removed it to see whats under it. The weight gave it away and that it is non- magnetic. It also accounts for it being noticeably heavier than the floor-less model when lifting the bow. Inside the hull there are several cross welded square tubes. Inside each tube there are stainless threaded inserts that resits stripping the screws that hold the floor in place. I suggest you use blue lockite (removable) to keep these screws from backing out. The floor has no noticeable flex when walking on.

The inflatable tubes are well made and show no signs of seam peel or separation. There are three chambers, bow, port and starboard. The valves work fine. This model did not include or locks or oars, but the dealer threw in glue on's to complete the deal, but I don't think I'll install them. Absent is a perimeter rope which would have been nice. There are four carrying handles, and strap loops at the bow but not in a good location for passengers underway. Included is a kit with cheap looking but very effective pump and a repair kit. The vessel documentation plate is attached with double sided tape and will fall off in the sun. It can be cured with four 1/8" pop rivets using 3M 5200 sealant under the rivet's pin head & and body before you pop it. Overall, a good deal.

Last edited: