Replacing air deck on older Avon Rover

sailnc

Recruit
Hi Folks! New guy here -- have lurked a bit in the past but now joining the fray.

I recently excavated an old Avon Rover 2.81 (1997 model) from storage, where it had been rolled up for well over 10 years. I was happy to see that the hypalon tubes inflated and held air! But the inflatable floor is a disaster, leaking air extensively.
I purchased some adhesive and began fixing leaks, but it seems to be a never-ending process. I would fix several, let it cure, pump it up, and several more leaks would open up in other areas. By now I've probably repaired 15-20 places -- all are in the taped seam that connects the top and bottom layers of the airdeck. Whatever adhesive was originally used there, seems to be failing.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a hard floor (wood or aluminum). My plan is to use it as a sailboat tender and I don't really need the roll-up capability of the air deck -- I would keep it assembled most of the time. Has anyone done this? Could I simply cut marine plywood in the same shape as the air deck (coat with epoxy or paint, and put some kind of soft edge around it)?

Alternatively, is it possible to have someone replace the entire taped seam? Or can I get a new air deck for this old dinghy?

Thanks!
Tom

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Check with Defender, but anything Avon should be price prohibitive. To install a new lateral seam tape which is quite thin compared to upper fabric will need to take the air deck to a inflatable repair shop and have it replaced or make a solid plywood one piece deck with soft sides as not to damage lower lateral tubes.

Happy Boating

sailnc

Recruit
Since I've had no luck finding an air deck in a size similar to the old one, I think I may have to go the wooden floor route. I've noticed that many inflatables use a 2 or 3 piece wooden floor. Is that simply to make storage easier? Or is it difficult to get a one-piece floor into the boat?
Saw some instructions showing a technique where 2 boards are installed, then the bow board is wedged in by "tenting" the middle and bow boats and stepping on them to force into place. Thus, I began wondering how one would install a one-piece floor.

G

Since I've had no luck finding an air deck in a size similar to the old one, I think I may have to go the wooden floor route. I've noticed that many inflatables use a 2 or 3 piece wooden floor. Is that simply to make storage easier? Or is it difficult to get a one-piece floor into the boat?
Saw some instructions showing a technique where 2 boards are installed, then the bow board is wedged in by "tenting" the middle and bow boats and stepping on them to force into place. Thus, I began wondering how one would install a one-piece floor.

I have a 3 pc wood floor and have a hard time getting it in. Sorry I could not be more help but I i cannot figure out any solution for you.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Does your Rover use an inflatable keel under air deck ? Usually all sibs have 3-4-5 panels to form a solid flat deck. You could fabricate a 2 piece 1/4 / 3/4 same width and lenght as your actual air mat deck when fully inflated. The issue is how are you going to secure both pieces together for deck to become stiff and doesnt wave under when boating ? Will be nearly impossible to fit inside a sib an air deck same size plywood duplicate.

Happy Boating

Last edited: