10ft inflatable rated for 15 hp max (Thinking about adding a 20hp engine?!!)

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone have experience with these folding ribs? They look pretty awesome. I'm just wondering if they are as well made as the no folding variation ribs.i definitely want a rib next. I caught the boating fever.

G

I believe they are glued. Hopefully not cheap chinese glue. There is a big following on rib dot net on that f-rib. I can tell you this. Boat is made and assembled in Russia with german pvc. As i am russian and was born there i would bet my life on almost any russian product made. Russians take pride in there work and integrity is more important to them then anything else but that was within the communist days. Now even cheap chinese glue gets imported to russia. Frib and winboay is the same company. Winboat was made for usa and frib for Europe. Someone was telling me how fribs are being used as rescue boats in some countries, do not know if that is true. I would buy one but the 0 feedback on ebay bothers me

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Are those the Rusky ribs ? If so, are Hypalon made and hand glued. Don't understand why people demonizes hand gluing. Just buy the right brand which uses the right quality glue and get with this nonsense issue, besides what are service stations and warranty for ? All my sibs/ribs are hand glued with 2 part German glues and haven't had a single tube failure in 7 years we are currently selling them.

The near mayority of sibs are hand glued. Welded tubes uses a middle glue tape placed between both fabric layers, then fabric is rolled through heat rollers which melts glue bonding both sides of tube, much faster than doing it manually, but ain't bullet proof.

Are you sure about weight, an air deck same size as a F rib size should weight much less. Will need an appropriate transportation with large trunk to transport as opposed to same size air deck sib which can be trasported on any compact car.

Happy Boating

Last edited:
G

Are those the Rusky ribs ? If so, are Hypalon made and hand glued. Don't understand why people demonizes hand gluing. Just buy the right brand which uses the right quality glue and get with this nonsense issue, besides what are service stations and warranty for ? All my sibs/ribs are hand glued with 2 part German glues and haven't had a single tube failure in 7 years we are currently selling them.

The near mayority of sibs are hand glued. Welded tubes uses a middle glue tape placed between both fabric layers, then fabric is rolled through heat rollers which melts glue bonding both sides of tube, much faster than doing it manually, but ain't bullet proof.

Are you sure about weight, an air deck same size as a F rib size should weight much less. Will need an appropriate transportation with large trunk to transport as opposed to same size air deck sib which can be trasported on any compact car.

Happy Boating

the 330 weights 95lb and the 360 weights 106lb. this thing is bad azz.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I would go straight for the 360 model with a 20 HP engine, assume 360 is wider that the 330 model ? Are there PVC and Hypalon models to choose from, being Hypalon models more expensive ? Know Winboats are Orca Hypalon 0.9 mm made and hand glued as you can't thermoweld hypalon.

Less than 50 KG for a 360 is light, one of my previos 360 alum floor sib used to weight 78 Kg. Are you worried that lightness means crappy lasting or performer ? Winboats models are not so that eye catching, but technologicall innovative appealing, that involes extra cost too.

The You Tube vid shows a 360/20 HP combo nicely planning out with tubes slightly touching water due to having a medium deep hull, это отлично, как это очень много !!

Happy Boating

Last edited:
G

I would go straight for the 360 model with a 20 HP engine, assume 360 is wider that the 330 model ? Are there PVC and Hypalon models to choose from, being Hypalon models more expensive ? Know Winboats are Orca Hypalon 0.9 mm made and hand glued as you can't thermoweld hypalon.

Less than 50 KG for a 360 is light, one of my previos 360 alum floor sib used to weight 78 Kg. Are you worried that lightness means crappy lasting or performer ? Winboats models are not so that eye catching, but technologicall innovative appealing, that involes extra cost too.

Happy Boating
i agree 100% with Searider! here is a video where they fit in a compact vehicle i do not think you have the option between pvc or hypalon yet. (Either iboats are insane for not becoming dealers of Winboats or they should give us a reason not to buy one). Cannot get any safer for a family! it will float and plane with tubes fully deflated

Last edited:

NickDK

Cadet
I agree with you, these boats look very good. They only have one version with a flat floor, 375 - It's borderline too heavy 62kg. But I have s feeling the floor with the 2 high profiles where the parts interconnect is annoying, as it's not possible to sail our to the sea and take a nap/rest on a straight surface?

NickDK

Cadet
I believe they are glued. Hopefully not cheap chinese glue. There is a big following on rib dot net on that f-rib. I can tell you this. Boat is made and assembled in Russia with german pvc. As i am russian and was born there i would bet my life on almost any russian product made. Russians take pride in there work and integrity is more important to them then anything else but that was within the communist days. Now even cheap chinese glue gets imported to russia. Frib and winboay is the same company. Winboat was made for usa and frib for Europe. Someone was telling me how fribs are being used as rescue boats in some countries, do not know if that is true. I would buy one but the 0 feedback on ebay bothers me

Great info thanks

I had a quick look at the other forum mentioned and read more about the F-Rib, looks good. Over there many are in love with the Bombard Aerotec 380. What's the deal here, also very light 43Kg. But does it have the mentioned problems with an air deck boat? And is the deep v hull bad for having passengers on board?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you mean UK boaters, they like Aerotecs specially the 380 model. But have air issues, worst than air decks. Have deep V inflatable 2 piece keel that forms the deep keel once inflated. Must be air topped or sib won't perform as expected. Has a upper fabric deck that covers deep V keel, don't think that will comfy to lie on. Personally wouldn't prioritize napping on an Airtec versus excelent water performance of a hard hull.

A 360 or 375 Winboat is far superior, can't have everthing you would like to count with in a single boat. The lightness of those Winboats are due being a one piece hull/deck as opposed to hull + upper flat deck ribs.

Happy Boating

NickDK

Cadet
No Title

Thank you very much for the help!
I'm still very undecided and have now read almost all posts at this and a similar forum :)

Here are the options I have found with a 20+HP rating and semi light weight:

F-Rib 360 - 48KG (Max 25HP - Sadly uneven floor)
F-Rib 375 - 62KG (Max 25HP - Heavy, but flat floor, good)
Bomb. Aerotec 380 - 43KG (Max 25 HP - Lightweight, V Shaped floor as minus )
Zodiac Cadet 350 ALU - 67 kg (Max 20HP - Heavy)
Zodiac Mark 1 Alu 350 - 64 kg (Max 25HP - Heavy)
MERC, Air Deck 320 - 46 kg (Max 20HP - Too Small?)
MERC, Air Deck 320 Fish - 49 kg (Max 20HP - Too Small?)
Honwave T38 IE (380) - 48 kg (Max 25HP - Semi V floor - Too large?)

I'm going to keep the boat inflated during the summer months. And it will be located very close to the sea.
I have tried to show my main obstacle in the attached drawing.
There's a 2 meter drop from the plateau where the boat is stored and down to the beach. Lifting the boat and engine down 1 by 1 is the only way to get it to the launch area. I'll have to carry the boat over some rocks (two person job) and this is why i'm looking for something pretty light.
I would like the boat to both be as fast as possible while I use it with friends for fun. And also comfortable for family trips. Catch 22 it seems.
My strategy is to not deflate the boat and only remove the engine after the runs. It will sit on the raised plateau with a boat cover while not in use.

Plan of area:
boat storage-01.jpg

Plateau to Beach: (there's a passage via the big rocks on the left side!)

Hmm, I'm not sure why the photos are resized to these little ones?

Attachments

• photo224803.jpg
    photo224803.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo224806.jpg
    photo224806.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

lemondrop9344

Seaman
Have you given any consideration to an Achilles SPD 365 (12' 2"). Rated to 25 hp, Weighs out at 67 kg if I did my conversion correctly (147 #'s). Hypalon and extended tubes in the rear to support heavier 4 strokes. Comes in two bags which can be easily handled by two people when not inflated. Once down on the beach it can be assembled and inflated in about 20 - 30 minutes.
I utilize a 4 stroke 20 hp, electric start Tohatsu on the back of mine. Rated at 58 kg (127 #'s). It will run close to 30 mph at WOT, but, will run around 20 mph at a little less than 1/2 throttle. With all that said..... for what you are stating you want to do with the boat; based on my experience with mine I would think you would need a bigger boat.
Not trying to be negative. Take a look at the inside measurements to see how much room you will actually have for people and goodies. 2 people fishing or cruising is comfortable with my setup. Any thing more (other than small dog when cruising) is very crowded.
Good luck in you search.

lemondrop9344

Seaman
One other thought........... in going from 20hp to 25hp, I believe you also go to 3 cylinders with most manufacturers. That means more weight of course. You path to the water looks formidable. Hope you find a workable solution.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Gee you're in trouble. How about :

1-Anchoring any given boat configuration at house front ? Do you have pirates in your arear ?
2-Installing launching wheels at back transom ?
3-Building a non steep ramp between plateau and shore for easy launch ?
4-Is it still possible to buy 2 strokes outboards, or are already banned ?

A combination of 2 + 3 should work spotless.

Lemondrop is right, smaller or up to 360 is crampy with more than 2 up and gear, just good for messing around. If wanting to go boating with more mates or family oriented will need min a 370-380 Mt inflatable.

After owning more than 08 different size air decks, wooden and alum decks sibs throughout the years and knowing their sea capabilities and tech issues would recommend going straight for a RIB, definitively will have more fun with a 20/25 HP engine. If a flat deck is a must count with, would go straight for the FRib 375, but that's me.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

NickDK

Cadet
Have you given any consideration to an Achilles SPD 365 (12' 2"). Rated to 25 hp, Weighs out at 67 kg if I did my conversion correctly (147 #'s). Hypalon and extended tubes in the rear to support heavier 4 strokes. Comes in two bags which can be easily handled by two people when not inflated. Once down on the beach it can be assembled and inflated in about 20 - 30 minutes.
I haven't heard about that boat before, i'll take a look. But does it have any advantage over the other 'heavy' solid floor boats? I would really prefer not to spend 30 mins assembling at the beach as I would like the boat to be 'ready' on the plateau, and to only mount the engine and parts before launching.

I utilize a 4 stroke 20 hp, electric start Tohatsu on the back of mine. Rated at 58 kg (127 #'s). It will run close to 30 mph at WOT, but, will run around 20 mph at a little less than 1/2 throttle. With all that said..... for what you are stating you want to do with the boat; based on my experience with mine I would think you would need a bigger boat.
Not trying to be negative. Take a look at the inside measurements to see how much room you will actually have for people and goodies. 2 people fishing or cruising is comfortable with my setup. Any thing more (other than small dog when cruising) is very crowded.
Good luck in you search.
Thank you for the info, i'll consider the space issue,

One other thought........... in going from 20hp to 25hp, I believe you also go to 3 cylinders with most manufacturers. That means more weight of course. You path to the water looks formidable. Hope you find a workable solution.
Yes I have looked at the 3 cylinder engines and they're too heavy for lifting. If I end up with the two part lifting setup the best I can do is Suzuki 20HP at the 44kg.

NickDK

Cadet
Gee you're in trouble. How about :

1-Anchoring any given boat configuration at house front ? Do you have pirates in your arear ?
2-Installing launching wheels at back transom ?
3-Building a non steep ramp between plateau and shore for easy launch ?
4-Is it still possible to buy 2 strokes outboards, or are already banned ?

A combination of 2 + 3 should work spotless.

Lemondrop is right, smaller or up to 360 is crampy with more than 2 up and gear, just good for messing around. If wanting to go boating with more mates or family oriented will need min a 370-380 Mt inflatable.

After owning more than 08 different size air decks, wooden and alum decks sibs throughout the years and knowing their sea capabilities and tech issues would recommend going straight for a RIB, definitively will have more fun with a 20/25 HP engine. If a flat deck is a must count with, would go straight for the FRib 375, but that's me.

Happy Boating

1: Not possible due to local restrictions. Only temporary setups are possible.
2: It's my plan to mount launch wheels. How heavy a setup is it possible to move with those wheels?
3: It's my longterm plan to either build a ramp or install a swinging Davit, but it seems to complex for now.
4: banned

And thank you very much for helping me! - How fragile is the bottom if the SIB's vs RIB's? Will small stones tear up the SIB? And is the RIB durable or will the rigidity cause other issues?