10ft inflatable rated for 15 hp max (Thinking about adding a 20hp engine?!!)

NickDK

Cadet
Hello I'm looking at a quality 10ft inflatable with specs that allow a 15 hp engine.
I have searched for the lightest 4 stroke and have found models from Honda and Suzuki. When I look at the engine specs I can see that the 20HP model in both ranges weight the same as the 15HP version so I'm thinking about getting the bigger version (44KG/~100lbs). But I would like to get your opinion on this.
The boat is a an air floor version with inflatable V shaped hull. - Max load is 735KG/1600lbs - the boat weighs ~100lbs alone.

It's important that the boat and engine is as light as possible so it can be handled by two people.

I'll be using the boat for cruising with (total 2 adults and two smaller kids).

I'm looking forward to your insight!

G

It all depends on the max weight for transom. If you can afford the honda then i recommend u spend a little more and go for the folding rib. You will thank me with a bottle of scotch in 6 months or u can buy the inflatable floor boat and say should have listened to weimed in 6 months. Your choice. This is my 3rd season with my boat i know :)

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got the new 20 hp Suzuki for $200 more than the 15 hp. They both weigh the same. Lightest in ther class. It was a no brainier. It's got a throttle. Suzuki is fuel injected, have no idea about what the other have now in that class. At the time Suzuki was the lightest, the cheapest and only one with FI.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Are you Nutty Professor family ? No way going for a 20 HP engine 2 or 4 strokes with just a 3.05 Mt air deck inflatable sib, too dangerous, boat will achieve unpredictable and scary water behaviour at wot. Don't overpower small size sibs. We run 18 HP engines on 3.10 Mt Ribs and with 2 non light feather champs one being the driver and other being a bow mask turns scary, achieves unpredictable tracking as hell. Don't throw money into the blue, better invest wise, go for a larger 340-360 Sib or Rib, will have more fun. Air deck sibs performs lousy compared to alum or wooden floarboards, are plagued with tech issues, must follow countermeasures to the letter in order to have fun.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

NickDK

Cadet
It all depends on the max weight for transom. If you can afford the honda then i recommend u spend a little more and go for the folding rib. You will thank me with a bottle of scotch in 6 months or u can buy the inflatable floor boat and say should have listened to weimed in 6 months. Your choice. This is my 3rd season with my boat i know :)

I don't really understand your comment with the Honda. I'm talking about a Honda and Suzuki engine?

NickDK

Cadet
Welcome to Iboats,

Are you Nutty Professor family ? No way going for a 20 HP engine 2 or 4 strokes with just a 3.05 Mt air deck inflatable sib, too dangerous, boat will achieve unpredictable and scary water behaviour at wot. Don't overpower small size sibs. better invest wise, go for a larger 340-360 Sib or Rib, will have more fun. Air deck sibs performs lousy compared to alum or wooden floarboards.

Thank you very much. I don't see my self a Nutty, but I'm clearly inexperienced, so i welcome all help!
The total length is 3,2Meter. I have searched for a small/light boat as it's not going to work if we have to carry parts weighing more than 50KG/piece down to our beach. The main priority is not speed and action, but just small boat for some cruising. I would have gotten for something like Zodiac Futura if it wasn't for the weight issue.
but since the 15 and 20hp engines weight the same it just got me curious if i should pick the largest. I'm not interested in putting anyone at danger.

NickDK

Cadet
I got the new 20 hp Suzuki for $200 more than the 15 hp. They both weigh the same. Lightest in ther class. It was a no brainier. It's got a throttle. Suzuki is fuel injected, have no idea about what the other have now in that class. At the time Suzuki was the lightest, the cheapest and only one with FI.
It seemed like a no-brainer to me as well - I think my boat is a bit to small though for 20 HP. I looked at your boat and think it's impressive that just an extra 45cm's makes it handle double the HP's (15 vs 30hp)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
320 sibs which are 10.5 Ft, are rated for min 10 max 15 HP engines, it's not only 45 cm more, the larger the sib, the wider, the taller the tubes. You'll need to top inflate air deck, tubes and keel with a battery powered electric pump in order to achieve best overall sib rigidity to perform as expected. If liking air decks go for a Mercury 340 air deck sib.

Happy Boating

NickDK

Cadet
Thank you Sea Rider! - I checked the boat you mention and it's not on the shelves here in Denmark, but the 320 air deck is, and it's rated at 20HP, strange!
It's not that i like air deck, but I have disqualified the alu deck boats due to excessive weight. If you know of other good boats in this size do let me know.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Check West Marine if having a store there or Saturn inflatables. How about more pricey Zodiac & Avon brands, should have air decks too. Wouldn't want going for a 320 air deck with a heavy 4 strokes 20 HP engine, but that's me. If mentioned sib brands have larger ones than 320 go for it, a 320 is rather cramped if family oriented, with time and boating experience will learn that more space is vital having. Being air decks, weight is minimum going from a 320 to a tad larger one. OTOH will perform much better with a 20 HP engine

Happy Boating

G

Look at the f-rib google it. Seen at least 2 people in europe who love it. Looks like you can strap it to a foldable handtruck and drag it across the beach

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
It seemed like a no-brainer to me as well - I think my boat is a bit to small though for 20 HP. I looked at your boat and think it's impressive that just an extra 45cm's makes it handle double the HP's (15 vs 30hp)

Notice my boat is a 360. Very seldom I run mine at full throttle. It's really more fun at 18-20 mph. I run mine on a river where the younger crowd runs their high dollar outfits past me at 50-100 mph. End of the day I have just as much fun and haven't spent a small fortune on fuel. As posted take a look at those F Boats or WinBoats. Don't weigh anymore and have a solid hull. Little more money than mine ,however.

NickDK

Cadet
Check West Marine if having a store there or Saturn inflatables. How about more pricey Zodiac & Avon brands, should have air decks too. 320 is rather cramped if family oriented.
Thank you for the great advice! - I have been dreaming about the Zodiac Futura, but the smallest one (370) is 72KG! It's a shame as it seems to be a nice boat.
I'll try to look for the other brands.

Look at the f-rib google it. Seen at least 2 people in Europe who love it. Looks like you can strap it to a foldable handtruck and drag it across the beach

I have looked at the F-Ribs and the boats look pretty impressive. The floor surface does make we wonder if it's uncomfortable while at the sea compared to an inflatable bottom (I don't know if this is correct, but I have an idea that it will be a little bit flexible and nicer to rest on while cruising? (small kids)) - I realize that the flexibility is bad for handling in rough water and that a rigid hull is better.

Notice my boat is a 360. Very seldom I run mine at full throttle. It's really more fun at 18-20 mph. I run mine on a river where the younger crowd runs their high dollar outfits past me at 50-100 mph. End of the day I have just as much fun and haven't spent a small fortune on fuel. As posted take a look at those F Boats or WinBoats. Don't weigh anymore and have a solid hull. Little more money than mine ,however.

I agree with your speed comment, It's not my plan to be speeding like a maniac, I just liked the idea of some extra oomph for when I'm out without the family. As you say it does have a throttle so it's not like I have to give it all at all times.

Last edited:
G

Thank you for the great advice! - I have been dreaming about the Zodiac Futura, but the smallest one (370) is 72KG! It's a shame as it seems to be a nice boat.
I'll try to look for the other brands.

I have looked at the F-Ribs and the boats look pretty impressive. The floor surface does make we wonder if it's uncomfortable while at the sea compared to an inflatable bottom (I don't know if this is correct, but I have an idea that it will be a little bit flexible and nicer to rest on while cruising? (small kids)) - I realize that the flexibility is bad for handling in rough water and that a rigid hull is better.

I agree with your speed comment, It's not my plan to be speeding like a maniac, I just liked the idea of some extra oomph for when I'm out without the family. As you say it does have a throttle so it's not like I have to give it all at all times.

when you inflate the airfloor to proper pressure it as hard as a wood floor. If you do not inflate to that pressure you will not be able to go over 3mph with a 20hp engine because your boat will start to bend. 1 little pin hole at sea and you will be in a whole lot of trouble with air floor . Personally would not put my family at risk like that. I love the concept of air floor and sometimes wish i had it when setting up my boat but boy was i glad having my wood floor when a friend of mine was inflating his air floor. As a matter of fact a The saturn comes with an air floor my friend got so fed up he ordered the aluminum floor for over $300. I would also consider weather conditions. As you know pvc tends to contract or expand depending on the weather. If it expands once again you lose planning capability

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If going for an air deck sib, place as compact carpet on top air deck, can trim to match air deck contour. As you are not going to fish from it, no issues. Just advise family about carrying items that can perforate, cut, abrade air deck and tubes as well.

Nick DK has already made his mind for an air deck sib, so it's pointless to recommend a wooden or alum floorboard deck. Just needs to pick the appropriate size for family leisure use, along a nice rechargeable variable pressure pump with gauge for quick air deck, tubes an keel max PSI topping minutes after launch.

Happy Boating

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I put an indoor outdoor carpet on mine I purchased from Lowes for about $20. It held up very well. Made it larger than the floor and when Tuck in around the floor and blow it up it fits like a glove. Never came untucked all last year. Very comfortable to sit and walk on. Dries fast and you won't slip around on it.

Attachments

• photo224433.jpg
    photo224433.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo224434.jpg
    photo224434.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0

NickDK

Cadet
I just wanted to say that I haven't made my mind up yet. I think the F-Rib genuinely looks interesting as the F-Rib 360 is the same weight as the 320 air deck i was initially looking at. The F-Rib can handle 25HP, so I could use the 20HP engine and feel safe/have ok with power?
My questions about how the bottom feels were directed towards the F-Rib as the floor looked jagged/edgy and I was wondering if it would feel awkward.

Chopperbill: What's the point of the carpet (sorry if I missed that)

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just wanted to say that I haven't made my mind up yet. I think the F-Rib genuinely looks interesting as the F-Rib 360 is the same weight as the 320 air deck i was initially looking at. The F-Rib can handle 25HP, so I could use the 20HP engine and feel safe/have ok with power?
My questions about how the bottom feels were directed towards the F-Rib as the floor looked jagged/edgy and I was wondering if it would feel awkward.

Chopperbill: What's the point of the carpet (sorry if I missed that)
Hell if I know. ;) guess because there have been comments on comfort and getting pin holes. Its hot and I need a beer?

NickDK

Cadet
Fair enough, enjoy the beer!

Does anyone know if the F-Ribs/Winboats are the same product just re-branded? - And from reading here the consensus seems to be that glue is bad and thermoweld is good. But what's the quality of the R-Rib?