Over-revving at random times

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys,

This last time I went out on the boat I noticed that when the boat was getting on a plane or already cruising on plane it would over rev on occasion and I would have to let off the throttle. It was almost as if it was coming out of the water or something. From what I read this might be cavitation or a result of air getting sucked into the water. How do I address this? Will inflating the boat more resolve this issue? I also noticed the floor feels funny when it's getting ready to plane. Motor struggles a bit then gets on plane and takes off, while this is happening I can feel like the waves underneath the floor, it's hard to describe, almost like the boat isn't flat on the water.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You need to inflate all air chambers to at least 3.0 PSI and air deck to min 12 PSI with gauge to achieve overall sib rigidity to perform as expected. Which engine model are you currently using ?

Happy Boating

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
You need to inflate all air chambers to at least 3.0 PSI and air deck to min 12 PSI with gauge to achieve overall sib rigidity to perform as expected. Which engine model are you currently using ?

Happy Boating

Using 15MHS yamaha 2 stroke 15hp. Air floor was inflated to 9 psi, keel was at 3.5
Im guessing that was my problem?

By the way, I sent you a private message regarding possible recommendation.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Exit,

For peace of mind and credit card why don't you buy an original Yam portable tank & hose.

An air floor inflated to just 9 PSI will perform poor, bear in mind that as soon you sit that sib on water overall pressure will drop, worst during afternoons. Get a hand pump and top that air mat to 12 PSI once sib is floating after some minutes rest, Reinflate tubes to MIN 3.0 PSI and keel to (Min 3.5/4.0 PSI)

Feeling waves rolling underneath hull is synonymus of tubes, air deck and keel poorly inflated.

Happy Boating

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yep put the air pump to it. I run my floor to 11-12 keel 6-7. It's worthless much lower.

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
Okay gentlemen, will do and report back findings

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Exit,

Check if possible to inflate air deck to 12 PSI before water launge so when doing a reinflation afterwords will have a near solid air deck to sit hand pump onto it and work comfy topping that air deck. You can also use a foot pump, the ones that have high and low pressure ports, hose must be set on the low air volume high pressure port to fully inflate with foot ease but at a slow inflation rate.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
Exit,

Check if possible to inflate air deck to 12 PSI before water launge so when doing a reinflation afterwords will have a near solid air deck to sit hand pump onto it and work comfy topping that air deck. You can also use a foot pump, the ones that have high and low pressure ports, hose must be set on the low air volume high pressure port to fully inflate with foot ease but at a slow inflation rate.

Happy Boating

I have an electric pump I connect to the battery. It will do all the work for me so I'm not worried.