Calling it Quits on the Inflatables

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
You could buy a pretty fancy boat with all the best toys for what those supposed bullet proof ones cost. Bet Hollywood could run a cheap PVC hull through an oyster bed without messing up the heroes hair.

G

Though i been there once but in Vilano inlet St Augustine FL has very fishy area!. Problem is, The surf hits the inlet near the jetties. I do not have enough hair on my chest to try and jump it on my Inflatable by my self. I went north around mayport and found there is no Surf hitting the Inlet which will let me go .5 miles out or fish the rocky jetty. Once i fine tune my outboard i will try an attempt it. I jump on a party boat just to scope the area and it is my kind of fishing!IMG_3127.JPG

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
You are about as close to fishing heaven as you could be down there. Throw in shrimping and crabbing and it would be hard to go hungry.

We went out of Vilano in a 22 ft self bailing design recently, and that inlet is a dangerous place to play. The standing waves were hairy.

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very sorry to hear. Was planning to live vicariously through you. Yes the inflatables thing is a love/ hate relationship for sure. For those of us that got them they mostly fit a bill.... that's why we got them. Up here your boat made more sense than it might down there what with cheap boats and trailering! glad you got a chance to try this gateway drug! you'll be on to the good stuff in no time. Hopefully my surgery will have been a success and I wont be forced to join you in yhr giving up the boat part. Getting a real boat remains a non option for me in NYC. . typing wth one finger left hand is getting old. lol

G

As i said, calling it quits. Sold my 15hp baby couple days back. Kept me on the money all last year and a good part this year. Still have my 12ft zoom that is going to have to go also. If anyone want it let me know im in Jacksonville FL. Great starter inflatable. To bad iboats does not have a classified section. Anyway like i said before, i am shutting down for this season. Will try to restabilize myself next season. Good luck all. I will still be here answering questions from my 3 year inflatable experience. I kind of wanted to list my 3 years of expenses that at the top of my head just as an FYI to inflatable boat owners or soon to be owners

year 1: Boat $1100 (from here iboats), Registration about $130 motor 6hp merc $650, transom wheels $100 electric pump $100 reg plate $40 STAbond glue $40
year 2: enjoyed my outings but could not keep up to my friends, sold my 6hp and purchased a 15hp for $1400, a bucket to hold fish and a bow bag $40, whistle $5, poncho $5
Year 3: moved to Florida and purchased a trailer for $400 and another 70 to register it.

Overall 3 years in and a total of over 3 grand in. It is not cheap owning a boat of any sorts. there was also motor maintenance fees i did not include. that is my story folks

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Meeting and making new friends... priceless
Being able to say you own a boat and going out and being your own captain... priceless
Finding new spots and techniques and becoming a wayyy better fisherman.... priceless
At least a dozen or two FRESH fish dinners caught by your own hand... $3.99 a lb (lol)
and.... drum roll please..... Truly living life and experiencing things that you otherwise wouldn't have.... there are no words!!!

Hope to see you back to sea soon.