Transom repainted

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
With less than a year on my Saturn the transom paint was starting to fail already. This winter I did a refurbish on it. Sanding down the old paint I could see why it failed so early. Took little sanding to get to bare wood. I wanted to use epoxy but it was $100 a gallon around here. I needed less than a half pint so that was a waste. I settled on a good gloss industrial paint. Found on sale for $7 a quart. One coat primer and two coats gray and it looks better than new. So far I have put several applications of Protect All on it so it will bead off and the sun won't deteriorate the paint. You guys with Chinese boats I suggest you do the same. China paint is not so good. Also Protect All on the tubes. Easy to apply and very good to stop sun damage. I plan on going over it diligently as long as I own the boat. (That will be until I can see my way to get a WinBoat. LOL)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Saturn is Korean made....probably one paint failure in the hundreds that are operating worldwide. Other than that Saturn is a good quality made sib.

Happy Boating

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
What's the best protectant for pvc sibs? 303? It's kinda expensive.

By the way, this thread is useless without pictures. Show us the goods!!!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
303 Is the best one, for what it does protecting expensive water toys such as sibs/ribs, don't find it to be expensive. You should not save up on products that will make Long Live the Sib, not worth it. Besides who said that boating was a cheap sport ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I get conflicting reports where Saturns are made. When I put two and two together the company is South Korean owned, PVC is made in South Korea, glue comes from Germany and boat is "made" "assembled" in Weihei China. You know us Yankees all Asians look the same to us LOL
Exit, you want a picture of me applying Protect All to my transom?? LOL. 303 may be better I don't know. I can put Protect All on my truck, that has never seen the inside of a garage, and water will bead up for over 6 months. That's proof enough for me. I just bought a half gallon, about a three year supply, for $35.

Last edited:

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
I get conflicting reports where Saturns are made. When I put two and two together the company is South Korean owned, PVC is made in South Korea, glue comes from Germany and boat is "made" "assembled" in Weihei China. You know us Yankees all Asians look the same to us LOL
Exit, you want a picture of me applying Protect All to my transom?? LOL. 303 may be better I don't know. I can put Protect All on my truck, that has never seen the inside of a garage, and water will bead up for over 6 months. That's proof enough for me. I just bought a half gallon, about a three year supply, for $35.
Chopperbill im sure your good looks would add to the aesthetic appeal of the picture, but sadly I was more interested in the finished product. Hahaha

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Weihei, China is evrything boating equivalent to US Detroit for cars. Located next to sea. Lot's of manufacturing & assembling water toys plants from small sibs to huge yachts. While good raw materials are used included trained skilled workers to assemble, nothing to worry about.

Happy Boating

G

Saturn is Korean made....probably one paint failure in the hundreds that are operating worldwide. Other than that Saturn is a good quality made sib.

Happy Boating
i completely disagree. Sinister has one and he has been having issues with it also. Crappy rivets on the aluminum floor, blown baffle and who knows what else would have went wrong with good use. I think he only used it two or three times. He had a Quicksilver before and upgraded to a bigger Saturn. you cannot compare the quality between them. I personally will not be buying a Saturn and i doubt Sinister will also. If i ever buy an inflatable again it will be either the quicksilver, Avon or Achilles

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Well that's one isolated flaw, how many more down sibs have you personally seen or know about ? That's what warranty is for. I would ask for a new one Can't compare a Saturn to a Avon or Achilles higher priced brands. It's comparing a Mercedes to a utilitarian much less priced car. If in good shape, both will take you there. Like all things man made, it's a imperfect world.

With regards to a blown bafffle, a temp issue when gluing at the factory or owner deflated one tube while being all tubes inflated to max pressure instead that deflating adjacent tube at same time. That could cause a baffle rupture due to internal pressure sudden imbalance.

Happy Boating

Last edited:
G

Well that's one isolated flaw, how many more down sibs have you personally seen or know about ? That's what warranty is for. I would ask for a new one Can't compare a Saturn to a Avon or Achilles higher priced brands. It's comparing a Mercedes to a utilitarian much less priced car. If in good shape, both will take you there. Like all things man made, it's a imperfect world.

With regards to a blown bafffle, a temp issue when gluing at the factory or owner deflated one tube while being all tubes inflated to max pressure instead that deflating adjacent tube at same time. That could cause a baffle rupture due to internal pressure sudden imbalance.
]
A sold out Saturn or a Merc for 200 dollars more? the Merc is a 2012 model but still new. Merc wins hands down. Knowing what i know now it would have been my purchase. only issue is about a foot of room. But i will take a foot less to avoid the cheap korean builds.
merc340.PNG saturn.PNG

Last edited:

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can see how you can blow a baffle on any of them. I stuck the pressure gauge in one tube filler but used another tube filler on my pump. Gauge stopped before I was done filling in the one tube and I was still filling. Took pressure test on the one tube I was filling and it was way higher. Must of pumped until the baffle was beyond it expansion. I jump from tube to tube now filling until they all have my required pressure on them.
I could only afford so much to put in a boat and I really use only it four months a year when it stays inflated. Seems to have good enough quality for my use, but was a little surprised about the transom paint as was the dealer. Was a pretty easy fix though,
Yep I still wanna WinBoat but that's a RIB, no comparison. Sure would like to find someone that owns one.

Last edited:

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Weihei, China is evrything boating equivalent to US Detroit for cars. Located next to sea. Lot's of manufacturing & assembling water toys plants from small sibs to huge yachts. While good raw materials are used included trained skilled workers to assemble, nothing to worry about.

Happy Boating

My VIN plate does say made in Korea. However, if it's like American cars a certain percentage has to be produced in the county that shows it made in. Korea making the PVC would be about 99% of it. American autos VIN plates will show "Assembled" in the country they were put together in but are still considered American cars. Confusing as hell! LOL

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
For what it's worth. I have nothing but a good experience with my Saturn SD365.

Ive followed all instructions and keep it in my garage.
Though even the garage is not ideal due to heat. But it will have to do.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
That's why you need to inflate sib/rib tubes gradually on a merrry go round basis till stated working pressure is reached and deflate both side or opposite to each other side when fast deflating, that's pushing your thumb all the way in till walve locks to a closed position. Korean makes good quality PVC fabrics, air valves, alum floorboards and accessories.

My previous Quicksilver 330 a Merc brand was assembled in Korea, it's 14 years old and still holding nicely due to being taken good care. Merc sibs are asian assembled, assume still Korean, if so, would you still have issues with Korean products ?

A larger alum floor sib as opposed to a shorter air deck sib would be one zillion times more my personal choice.

Happy Boating

Last edited: