The Sun Fading Keeps Coming Back

DinghyFTW

Cadet
Hi,
I'm new to the forum, but have lurked for awhile. Here's the problem I have run into-
I bought my dinghy last year at the beginning of the season. So therefore, just about a year ago. It is a '09 Walker Bay Genesis Deluxe 270 RIB, with an '88 Evinrude 9.9 Motor. As the season went on the pontoons (PVC, not hypalon) became more and more yellow, and more and more sticky (Yes, sticky; like when you sat up off the pontoons you had to pull your shorts off). After some research I found out that this was known as sun fading (the yellowing-not the sticky). For every resolution to the sun fading problem on line, there was at least one guy to say that will damage your pontoons in the long run. The only thing that was supposedly safe that I found was the Orange Off cleaner (Linked below). However, it seemed very expensive, and even though I did have the money to buy it, I was unsure of if it would even work. This is coming from someone who let their neighbors dog out for 5 years and saved all the money to buy a dinghy, with some left over to buy parts if necessary. Also, I've paid for every cent of the dinghy and motor thus far. Therefore, a gallon of bleach seemed like a far better idea. I called Walker Bay, and even though my pontoons were still under their 5 year warrantee, Walker Bay couldn't do anything for me. However, they recommended Orange Off to fix the problem. So I procrastinated through the entire winter while it was sitting in the basement. When spring came around I bought the Orange Off, which isn't THAT expensive anyway, it just is compared to other cleaning substances. It worked FANTASTIC and got rid of all sun fading completely. I even went as far to buy and use the "Bixler's Elixir" (from the same company as the Orange Off) to protect it from sun fading again.
Now, just 4 weeks after I put the dinghy in the water (it stays in all summer) Guess what's happening again? Yup, sun fading, AND it being sticky. So I ask you all, what's the best wax/protectant to stop this from happening?

TL;DR My RIB is sunfading again, what's the best wax/protectant to stop this from happening?

P.S. Am I in the right section of the forum? (I did read the forum rules, by the way). Am I even on the right forum, or is there a better forum to ask this question?? No idea where to go really...
FullSizeRender7.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender3.jpg image1.JPG image2.JPG
1st pic; End of Last Year
2nd and 3rd pic; Beginning of this year
4th and 5th pic; Currently

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Are you at the tropics or places whit huge radiation issues. If so, Hypalon was the way to go, more expensive but much UV friendly. Clean yellowish issues as before, appyly afterwords an overdose of Aerospace Protectant 303, it's 40 SPF UV inhibitor. Works very well. Apply a coat once each month.

PD : Get yourself a good thick cover and keep sib covered while moored.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

DinghyFTW

Cadet
Thanks for the help. Live in CT. The protectant i was using was the same once a month 40SPF kind of deal, but I'll definitely try that. Thanks!
I wish i could have gotten hypalon, but being that it's used it wasn't my choice.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Now a days there's PVC and PVC. Some better quality than others, are more radiation friendly. How much time has passed since you bought it and the first posted pic that looks horrible condition. Assume that when you bought sib fabric was not that yellowish, right ?

Happy Boating

DinghyFTW

Cadet
Bought it about a year ago with no yellow. The first pic was after the entire last years season. So probably about 4 months (ish) in the water with no clean up at all. I hadn't even tried to do anything. I mean don't get me wrong... It's not neglected. I'm going out on it about three times a week average... I just didn't know what to do last year.

EDIT: Just checked, it's been in the water for 4 weeks today.

Last edited:

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't think I've seen one in that bad a shape. Guessing the last guy did a detail before he sold it to you. Looked good after you first cleaned up. My guess is you'll just have to keep up with your maintenance or pass it along to the next guy.

DinghyFTW

Cadet
That's kinda what i was thinking to. But yeah, i've been in other dinghys before, and this one rides so smooth with the hard bottom and all, just would kill me to sell it!!!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
It's a nice boat, just apply an overdose of 303 Space Protectant from time to time and get a hard cover to cover rib while moored.

Happy Boating

Last edited:
G

a friend of mine owns a genesis, his name is makx on this forum. His looks very nice.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If it's Hypalon no sweat, if PVC is a must use or UV will damage tubes in the short run specially in the tropics and areas that has strong UV radiation issues.

Happy Boating

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You can get a set of chaps to better protect your boat.
You will also have to use 303 protectant weekly
Also do not leave your boat in direct sunlight for multiple days at a time.
You should also ask Walker Bey how much a set of tubes cost.

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
There are a few things you can do
1 Put chaps on the boat. They will protect the tubes.
2 cover your boat when not in use
You can not leave a PVC boat in direct sunlight for days at a time, it will sun fade
3 Ask Walker Bay how much a new set of tubes cost

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You can not leave a PVC boat in direct sunlight for days at a time, it will sun fade

Not an issue for days, you should not leave a PVC inflatable at a marina or moored without protection specially if will be living there indefinetly or at any other open sunny space. 303 Aerospace Protectant, tube chaps and thick cover when not in use would be the right way to go. Some better quality PVC fabrics holds more sun punishment that others.

Happy Boating

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
+1 on the comments about 303? Aerospace Protectant :cool-new:

If anyone would like to give 303? Aerospace Protectant a try, please do not hesitate to shoot us a PM. This product can be used on any rubber, plastic, or vinyl surface. We will send out free samples to the first 5 people to PM us. All we ask for in return is a review in this thread within 30 days of using the product.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Have a great day!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Great product, but won't see its beneficial results in just 30 days. Will need to have two highly exposed same inflatables to sun, one with 303 protection and other without. In the medium run, after months of constant sun exposure will see an astonishing difference, go for it, higly recommended, personally tested for years on all my water toys.

Happy Boating

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
Great product, but won't see its beneficial results in just 30 days. Will need to have two highly exposed same inflatables to sun, one with 303 protection and other without. In the medium run, after months of constant sun exposure will see an astonishing difference, go for it, higly recommended, personally tested for years on all my water toys.

Happy Boating

Absolutely correct - the biggest benefit will be noticed over the long-term when it comes to the product preventing UV degradation. We were just hoping to get a few comments on the application process, look/feel once applied and any restored luster. We welcome any and all comments regarding our items. Please feel free to reach out should anyone have any questions.

Have a great afternoon!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I usually wash all my tubes with dish paste detergent to immaculate clean, let dry, apply onto a soft pad an overdose of 303 protectant, slide pad in circular motion throughout boat fabric moisturizing pad from time to time with 303 so the whole Rib receives the same amount of protector. Let dry, don''t luster. Assume more amount of protector will go inside fabric pores and remain there longer. Tubes will be more slippery if not lustered, but next following days will be ok.

Once applied try not to clean or dry tubes with a cloth, towel or whatever, just rinse with fresh water and voil?, product will remain longer on tubes. Silly question : If stranded at sea and receiving too much sun, would it be possible and not skin harmful to give yourself a nice coat of 303 protectant ?

Happy Boating

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
I was planning to use 2 pieces of a patch and spray one with 303 but not the other. Just to see how soon we see results.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If PVC material is a cheap one, that's low quality not UV friendly, takes months, even a full year to see results. To achieve slow or fast fabric degradation will depend entirely on location, Equator, Tropics, Caribbean are the worst, high UV radiation, Hypalon is mostly used there. If having a PVC inflatable be prepared to throw your PVC inflatable into the blue in a short term period if not well protected.

It's not only about fabric fadding issues, add ungluing faster issues on transom holder, oar locks, oar holders and handles as well.

Happy Boating