Transom repair

mr gibbs2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello having a issue with my raft just noticed the cracking or the transom mounts .has any one have any advice on how to repair this.?i don't want to have to take it all apart can I just build up layers using rubber or pvc fabrics going from small to large . I'm totally new at this but always doing my own repairs thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Does the cracked upper portion goes all the way down, is the transom holder already unglued under ? Wich size dinghy and HP engine is yours ? Is it max transom rated for ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

mr gibbs2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The crack is only what is seen in the photo ,the bond to the pontoon is intact but it s cracked . It's rated for a 10 hp but we use a 8 . The raft has been in storage for a few years .the transom holder has no other cracks and the wood is perfect all the way way down to the floor and no soft spots . I was thinking a transom patch duplicatingwhats there to go over the black rubber and extend over about a inch onto the pontoon . But I doint know what material or thickness To use also Whats the right glue or glues to use .thank you for your response

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If everything is still well glued under side of crack including complete transom side holders leave it there, could fill the crack with something suitable. Can't glue a patch on crack as a reinforcement, will achieve nothing. Inflate dinghy to working pressure, usually 3.0 PSI to avoid transom stress. Glued parts on inflatables don't last forever could have ungluing issues in a near future. Need 2 part glue to glue parts that have fallen apart due to time, use and abuse.

Happy Boating

Last edited: