first time fishing

pgnyc

Seaman
So today was my first time fishing with my boat.
More things to put in the car.

Took nothing but i do not think i had the right lure.
i bought an ugly sitk bigwater 6ft + reel penn FRC 4000 + 10 lbs line + bomber lure

It was also my first time anchoring so yes i tried to leave forgetting it !!!!!!

next thing to do , find a way to install the fish finder in the water.

Pascal

G

you don't need a fish finder. Follow some boats around and fish near them. You should have fluke around. Fish under the thoggs neck and the whitestone near the pilings. Attach a 2-3 oz lead weight about 6-8 inches off the bottom. on the bottom attach a hook with either spearing hooked through the eyes or 4" swimming mullet attached from the mouth. Don't waste your money on lures. You can also pick up half dozen clams and hook it. everything will bite clam. honestly if you can return the fish finder.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Honestly. fishing is so much like hunting. You will have days without catching anything, but when you do catch something, you duplicate the circumstances and repeat it in different areas that look similar. And then you catch something else and you have more ideas of what works and what doesn't. And as you go along, new ideas come to mind and you keep the techniques that work and discard the ones that don't. In other words you educate yourself to how and where to catch fish. Read watch Youtube videos and TV shows and try some of their ideas. Then apply your own as well and build a memory base of how you caught the last fish. That will include what you used as bait and where you used it. Then look for similar conditions and try different areas and before you know it, you'll learn the lake you are fishing and when certain type fish are in different areas...

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Congratulations on taking that first step... Weimed has a good suggestion for a starting point. If no one else if fishing where you are... you probably shoudn't fish there either. Once you start to know spots then it is not always a bad thing to fish where no one is.. You may have the fish all to yourself. Where do you launch and what body of water are you in.. I know a few spots in the sound. If you are in the throgs neck / whitestone water there are definitely fishy spots... keep in mind you are so far west in the sound it actually takes a while for the fish to get to your area and your fishing will often be starting up as other areas start to die down (my experience in western sound)