Glue lifting on circular "patch" around inflation valve high pressure floor

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer
The glue is lifting around the circular "patch" around the inflation valve on the high pressure floor on my 2008 Saturn SD365. Air finally found its way out in one tiny section. I did a repair with Airseal at the spot where air is coming out, but I'm not hopeful. I was thinking of overlapping problem edges of the original circular "patch" with a patch from the kit that come with the boat. I can see where the air is bubbling up can tell how close the bubble is to the edge. I was going to patch the spots where the bubble is close. I was going to overlap by 1/2 inch on each side, and use HH66 as the glue.

What really needs to happen is the circular patch needs to be removed and reglued, but I don't know if I have the skills to do that. I wouldn't know how to remove it from the floor. If I could get it off, I could claen it off and reseal it for a semi-permanent repair. The boat is 7 1/2 years old, and I was in the process of selling it on ebay when the leak developed. I want to give it a good fix before I sell it. The boat looks almost new as it was only used for RV trips once a year or so.

What are my options?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Better is to remove old patch and re glue it again. If just small air bubbles coming out from patch apply a tiny drop of cracy glue (Instant glue that comes in small tube)

Happy Boating

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer
How do I get the patch off? Heat gun an edge to get removal started, yank, and it with the heat gun on stubborn spots? I don't want to sell this to somebody and have them on a boating outing and have the floor deflate. Golden rule thing. I suppose I can reuse the "patch" (although you know this is part of the original construction, not a patch per se) by cleaning it well with acetone. Is that right?

I know next to nothing about this stuff.

G

Don't use Hh66, it is very weak. I used to swear by it and it currently holds a tie off patch. Get sta bond or poly marine.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Probably don't need to remove complete patch, just peel off circular patch contour. To remove any glued part is a combination of heating the area to be peeled + medium size screwdriver soaked in mek for tip to make its way slowly through patch and lower fabric. Skill, experience along patience is required, not for everybody. Post a pic to have a better overall idea of your patch problem.

Happy Boating

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer
Finger is pointing at makeshift seal with PVC glue.

Untitled by jspringator, on Flickr

Finger pointing at obvious bubble that is getting ready to expand to cause another leak

I think I'm going to use a large square patch with a cutout in the center for the valve and reinforce the entire area. That will be the quickest, easiest and probably strongest repair.

I thought HH66 was good stuff. I'm going to do a search for the other stuff. I understand it only lasts a year, so the glue in my patch kit is out!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The glue that comes in repair kit is only good for quick repairs to get you out of deflating trouble. Should use 2 part glue for better long lasting bonds. The air issue is minimum. if it were mine would follow patch contour with cracy glue or equivalent while pressing tube to form a even thin glue seam. If going for it, remove the glue mess seen on picture. Or lift patch contour where air leak is occuring and re glue again with 2 part glue.

Happy Boating

BIGSTARCRAFT

Cadet
Do you think the valve is leaking? Email Saturn.. They were helpful when I broke an oar lock...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
An oar lock is a different story, Saturn can send you one, but won`t send a techie over to check that air leak, best scenario, will need to deliver or take with you that air deck to have it repaired if still under warranty. If not can repair the air leak at a cost.

Happy Boating

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer
I decided to overpatch the entire thing.

First I found a glass that had the approximate circumference of the valve. I then cut out the center of a patch.

I cooled my breezeway with a portable air conditioner.

I used a 2 part glue and a 2 pound roller.

Final result. Compare to the original photo. I didn't think that merely patching the edges were sufficient. I've got an inch or more in overcoverage all the way around the other patch.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Did big patch solved the air leak issue ? Fill air deck to min 10 PSI, make a soapy water test and check for tiny air bubbles. Probably you have cured the disease but not the patient.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer
Actually the Airseal fixed the leak, but I didn't think it was strong enough to last.

What do you mean cured the disease but not the patient?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If the square patch has not sealed properly valve's round patch, air bubbles will exit through square one. Bear in mind that those air decks work with high pressure low volume to achieve deck rigidity. That's why was asking to check with soapy water.

Happy Boating