Inflatable floor - planing question

bavmw

Cadet
I have a 10'2" AVON Rover circa 1996 in great condition, bought used, with an Evinrude 8hp 2-stroke outboard also in excellent condition. 8hp is the max rating for this boat with inflatable floor. I'm finding it difficult to get on plane, sounds like the motor is sucking air, as if the boat isn't rigid enough to make water flow underneath correctly.

Does anyone have any experience with this or advice, tips, etc? I wonder if I'm putting enough air in the floor? If not, how do I gauge the psi when filling up these tubes? Is there a meter I can purchase? Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
G

If it feels like it jerking over and over its becausd u need more air in your floor. The only way you jnow its rigid enough is if you walk on it without the slightest bend with weight. Keep inflating until you cannot out anymore. Once you cannot muscle anymore air in thAts the only time you will be able to plane with air floor

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Air floors usually work inflated to 10-12 PSI, will need a heavy duty foot or hand pump with gauge to reach those pressures. Inflate tubes and keel to at least 3.0 PSI.

Happy Boating

bavmw

Cadet
Thanks, I most certainly need more air and believe that's the sole problem.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Poor inflation > hull drag > poor performance when giving juice.

Happy Boating

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I finally called Saturn a while back. They said to fill e'm until it difficult to put more in with a hand pump. Until hard to the touch. The air chart on the site has maximums pressure that is a lot less what I get when doing it the way he said. Reading between line the chart is max pressures to use with an air pump then grab the hand pump and finish off. The guy went so far to tell I didn't even need a gage when using the hand pump. It sure preformed better after I did it the recommended way.